·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Im gonna say cheaper is turbo but what i rather have on my R/T is SC

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why would u rather have a supercharger? what's the difference? i dont have any idea what the differences, benefits, pros, cons, etc. are of the 2. how much HP do u gain from each?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I would go sc, but only because I've seen a write-up on how to do it to a 3.5l charger or a magnum in another forum. That said, its not cheap, and while results were good...you will get you butt handed to you by a hemi, even with the sc.

But if your just a gear head and like to work on cars, it would be a fun project! I would probably start with a chip, exhaust and intake first, then consider a sc later on, primarily based on costs of both.

I don't know about a turbo though. Haven't seen that done yet.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i heard a chip is bad for your car because it tricks your cars computer into thinking its colder and then it works harder or something. is that true? yea intakes aren't that expensive and the install is relatively easy / not too expensive to have someone else do it

is the dual r/t exhaust not that good or something? what would u do to your exhaust? i like a deep sound, such as the one on my bmw x5 4.8i 350hp v8. Similar sound possible on this car?

·
Registered
37 Posts
As far as SC versus turbo.....I have had both types on previous cars. My SRT4 was turbo and my wife's ION REDLINE is SC. In terms of a difference, Turbos give you "free" power. In that I mean a turbo is run by exhaust gasses. on the flip side, a SC is belt driven, meaning it takes horsepower to make horsepower.

What soes this mean?

in the end, it's all about driveability. both systems are great it's more of a preference and about $. A SC setup tends to give extra power throughout the rpm range and therefore a smoother feel. A turbo builds BOOST at higher RPM thus giving you a fun, but not as smooth acceloration curve.

I know that this is a very simple answer so please don't bash me if you are a fan of one or the other. I like both setups. Each has there quirksand can be problematic but I think for our avengers, specifically the R/T, I would like to see a SC kit available.

As far as exhaust, there is nothing in the way of cat back systems yet, however I am going up to Zoomers on monday to start the proccess of making a cat back for our cars.

·
Registered
37 Posts
oh, by the way. The "supercharger" in the link on the OP is [email protected]!$. Those things hit 1 maybe 2 lbs of boost. A well designed SC kit with coresponding supporting mods should have no problem hitting 10lbs at the bare minimum. A turbo setup......a good turbo.....20lbs ...... easy.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I would not get a fabricated turbo build yet, i almost did but it was way to expensive 6000 for a turbo setup. I am gonna wait and c wat mopar comes out with. I just know they wil make something for it.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i think i will wait until more come on the market...to risky...not enough people have done it yet and not enough options

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The best advice i can give is go a lil at a time, exhaust,intake,chip...

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what's wrong with the stock dual exhaust that comes with the r/t model? what would you change? isn't the chip bad for ur car?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I don't think the "chips" are bad for your car, but I guess it depends on if your paying $200 or more or whatever they cost from an established company or paying $5 for a chip off of "ebay".

Theres nothing wrong with the avenger rt in its stock form. The dual exhaust is nice, the intake is functional, and the computer works well...I think anyone can agree about that.

But you want better, faster, more, right?

From what I've read here and other places, you can put a chip, custom intake, and custom exhaust, each individually and you might see some performance gains, but that you see more gains when its done right and together.

For instance, by changing the exhaust, you can get a more free flowing and likely better or meaner sounding exhaust. By changing the intake, you can get more and cooler air into the car, thus increasing performance. By putting in a jet chip, you can take advantage of different fuel/air mixtures and timing etc, that will increase performance.

Make no mistake. If you left it stock...you still have a great car! :)

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm sounds good...which chip would u recommend?
what type of exhaust? catback?
which intake would u recommend?
this is my first dodge and i need some pointers :)
not sure what's good for dodges

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Well i would go with the stage 2 after u get some mods on ur car, there is no real CAI for it but if u go to www.globalautoshop.com they have a short ram intake, as for exhaust there r million diffrent things u can do flomaster,magnaflow, zoomer ect... but i would do the chip last that way u dont buy a stage 1 put modds on ur car and then buy another one which would be stage 2 so wait on the chip for last in my opinion.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ic. so u think i should do exhaust then intake then chip? im really really bad at the exhaust thing. i had exhaust mods on my rx300 and it took me a year to figure out what i wanted and i still screwed up and had to have some things redone...not too big of a deal but i don't want to do it again. so to get the deep (not crackly) throaty sound like the x5 4.8i v8 which things should i replace? simply the tips? the muffler?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Well what i would do is take out the resanator,muffler and bigger tips. I guess u should wait a lil while cause zoomer is coming out with an exhaust system for the avenger and c wat that is all about. As for the intake i cant help ya out on that exept just to tell u make ur own.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Im sure we will know the end of this week i guess

1 - 20 of 38 Posts