Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the best way to find a switched 12 v power source in a car. I am wanted to install a 110v power inverter and wonder where would be the best place to get the 12volts but only when the vehichle is on. I am going to leave it plugged in all the time and dont want to run the battery down. :smileup:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I think the front cigarette lighter is switched. At least on mine it is. The one inside the console is on all the time.

·
Registered
542 Posts
yea the cigarette lighter is the easiest place, the only worry i woudl have is if the wire coming to the cigarette lighter is big enough to handle the load that the inverter woudl pull, the only other idea woudl be using the power from the lighter to trip a relay and then just have a line comming from the battery that is a little bigger

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have you ever hooked into the fuse box? I've noticed that there are open fuse spaces I wonder how hard it would be to run a line there and hook up for power?

·
Registered
542 Posts
never tried hooking to a fuse box, usualy when im running wires its for bigger stuff like amps or extra batteries so i dont usually touch the fuse box, i put a 200 amp breaker under the hood and i just pull all my power from that for extra lighting and stuff

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
The wire for the cig lighter should be plenty for most all invertors - there are some very large invertors that are designed to be plugged into the cig lighter.

·
Registered
542 Posts
the only reason i said somthing is cuz ive installed an inverter that need a 8 gauge wire run to it cuz the guy was using it so he didnt have to run a generator, he worked in some kind of construction where there normaly isnt power

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Your best bet would be to find out how many max amps it draws. If equal or less than the fuse for the cig lighter, it will be fine. The fuse would blow before the wiring be any problem.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I think the front cig lighter can handle 10 amps...it says on the plug in my car, but im not in my car atm, lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't opened the inverter box yet so I dont know how many amps it pulls. I want to make sure the install looks professional, and I don't want to hack up the cars wiring. Thats why I was checking on the fuse box thing.

On another note, I think the weather will be nice tomorow and I might actually wash my car and post some pics. If all the stars align and all that. :hah:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts