Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have a 2013 2.4liter seems to lose coolant about from middle of overflow down to add line in 2 weeks no leak on ground and now I’ve noticed since it’s cold when the heat is on the temp doesn’t stay at operating temperature it goes down to the white line between c and the middle until I turn the heat off so question is would that be my thermostat being stuck and also would that be the loss of coolant engine runs great no smoke no smell of coolant

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
The thermostat housing(plastic) that bolts to the cylinder head uses a rubber ring gasket and is known to leak. Leaking coolant from there is usually evaporated away from motor heat and why you may not see any "puddles". And yes, it sounds like one of the TWO thermostats is stuck open, change BOTH.
Good Luck and let us know how things go. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thermostat housing(plastic) that bolts to the cylinder head uses a rubber ring gasket and is known to leak. Leaking coolant from there is usually evaporated away from motor heat and why you may not see any "puddles". And yes, it sounds like one of the TWO thermostats is stuck open, change BOTH.
Good Luck and let us know how things go. :)
I replaced both thermostats and it still runs cool lol

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
I replaced both thermostats and it still runs cool lol
Are there any actual boiling over concerns and did you check for coolant leak as suggested? IF cabin temp is good and not blowing cold, then there is the possibility of a bad coolant temp sensor on the motor. If you have a scanner with "live data" capability, you can get actual engine temp readings thru it from the cars computer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any actual boiling over concerns and did you check for coolant leak as suggested? IF cabin temp is good and not blowing cold, then there is the possibility of a bad coolant temp sensor on the motor. If you have a scanner with "live data" capability, you can get actual engine temp readings thru it from the cars computer.
It has never boiled over just runs cool even with a new temp sensor car runs great just runs cool heat inside works fine just causes temp gauge to drop when heat is on

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Well, before blaming a bad gage in the dash, a monitoring of digital temp by a live data scanner would help prove out what's going on. I'm more concerned of coolant loss you posted of. If the coolant ever gets too low, an air pocket can form inside the motor and hover around the temp sensor. With no coolant to read from ...it will read COLD. not hot like most people would think.
Also a pic of normal run gage and after when it's dropped along with a description of driving conditions(time/miles) that this happens would help for better responses.
Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, before blaming a bad gage in the dash, a monitoring of digital temp by a live data scanner would help prove out what's going on. I'm more concerned of coolant loss you posted of. If the coolant ever gets too low, an air pocket can form inside the motor and hover around the temp sensor. With no coolant to read from ...it will read COLD. not hot like most people would think.
Also a pic of normal run gage and after when it's dropped along with a description of driving conditions(time/miles) that this happens would help for better responses.
Ok when I get a chance I’ll get my hands on a scanner maybe next month sometime but before then I’ll try bleeding the system out any tips on that I have a 2.4liter it wouldn’t surprise me if I have air in the system

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Btw this is the car when I’m completely warmed up doing 60 and with heat off it only goes up a little bit it always sits under the middle but like you said best thing to help out is a obd scanner

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Yes on a live data read for engine temp. With more thought, and still the need to find and fix the coolant loss...also try a new radiator cap, it may be bleeding off pressure too early and allowing coolant to the reservoir and overfilling it to lose coolant from the overfill vent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts