Registered
5,222 Posts
very interesting

thats got some very interesting info.
looks way too cold for my AZ blood!:kap:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good to know I thought the ESP was traction control on my R/T. Never to old to learn something new I guess. That looked fun driving on the ice lake. (maybe in a rental car though)

Hehe

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I was driving down a curvy road one day coming home from work when I about lost control of my G6. It had the ESP, well they call it ESC. It had just rained, and I thought I could go a little faster than I should have. Well as I was making the right hand corner, I could feel the back end of the car slide around, and then BAM! The ESC kicked in and straightened me back out. In fact, it even slowed the car down.

I couldn't believe what happened. That ESP really does work well!

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes ESP really does work, you have that correct Sphinx. Thanks for posting your experiance. It helps others understand how it works.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yesterday it was -10 here, -40 with windshield.

That test was crap with the ESP. The first test he over steered a TON after the 2nd obsticle, the second test he barley turned the wheel at the second one.

Well now i watched it a few more times. You can't tell on the 2nd run haha. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well all I know is when you fly in to a bend and shake the rear end loose it takes split secs for the ESP to cut in and settle the car for a more controlled drive, unfortunately it also slows you down a bit but safety is a good thing.
Has anyone tried to turn there ESP off I hear it shuts the ABS off as well, is this true?

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This was very informative. I knew about the systems, but to see them used in such harsh conditions is truly impressive. No wonder the insurance companies rave about them. Great find, regandon.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a couple of chances to give the ESP a little test this week on ice. I never lost control and felt it kick in twice (even driving like an old lady because it was the first time I'd had her out in this weather).

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well all I know is when you fly in to a bend and shake the rear end loose it takes split secs for the ESP to cut in and settle the car for a more controlled drive, unfortunately it also slows you down a bit but safety is a good thing.
Has anyone tried to turn there ESP off I hear it shuts the ABS off as well, is this true?
from what I've been told turning off ths ESP will not turn off the ABS

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aren't they two different systems that work independently until both are called upon by the datastream being sent to the ECMs? Turning off the ABS would seem such great risk.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aren't they two different systems that work independently until both are called upon by the datastream being sent to the ECMs? Turning off the ABS would seem such great risk.
you are correct. they are separate systems only called upon when need

1 - 17 of 17 Posts