Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is for all of you out there who own a 2.4 and are wanting a one stop shop about the Intakes out there available to you right now.

For additional performance and power K&N has developed a high flow air intake system (69-2542TS) with a powder coated silver finish for the 2008 and 2009 Dodge Avenger with 2.4 liter engine. K&N dynamometer testing shows a 9.37 horsepower increase at 5368 rpm. This is a great power gain for the naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine. The OEM intake created a large amount of restriction that the K&N design reduced for added power.

K&N performance air intake system 69-2542TS installed on a 2008 Dodge Avenger
http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/69-2542_dyno.pdf click this link to see the dyno chart.

Next we have the Weapon R!!! This kit comes as a short ram intake or with cold air extension.

http://www.weapon-r.com/products/files/manuals/307-182-101.PDF and here is a link to some pictures of it on the vehicle
Key Features:

• Feeds 3 times more air to the engine
  • Fully equipped with all hoses and clamps for installation
  • Mandrel Bent 6061 T6 Aluminum Intake Tubing
  • 1 Million Mile Limited Warranty
  • Smooth polished design
  • Polyeurethane Protective Foam
The Secret Weapon Intakes were created by Weapon-R to multiply air intake volume to the engine. The key element is a system of two different air velocity profiles, which are moving at different speeds. Such an approach allows to increase the volume and speed of the air, which is fed to the engine, giving it 3 times more air than standard air intakes. Secret Weapon Intake Systems increase horsepower by combining Weapon-R's patented Dual Air Flow Technology and denser cold air with the cold air induction. Each system is Dyno Tuned for maximum performance and optimal air to fuel ratios. The smooth polished design and Mandrel Bent T6 Aluminum tubing designed by Weapon-R provides the intake with an attractive look that fits the application right. Weapon-R Intakes are equipped with all hoses and clamps required for mounting that lets you get started on your speed quest immediately.

And now the Prozen intake which a lot of members on the forumz are running.

These intakes are the cheapest but come with a K&N filter on the end.
Here is a link to the sellers ebay site http://motors.shop.ebay.com/prozenmotorsports/m.html

Finally, the Spectre intake is a 'do it yourself' intake in that it is made up of individual pieces you buy and put together to make an intake to fit your car. The price and construction of it can vary quite a bit since there is no single way to build it.

The Spectre is a good option if you are looking for something unique because you can create an intake to fit any routing and design you want. The downside is because it is made of individual pieces it is less 'secure' than the other intakes that are solid pipe designs and can be prone to coming apart after driving for a while because of road and engine vibration. That's why solid bracing for the Spectre intakes is very important. The pipe comes in chome plated plastic and polished aluminum. The aluminum pipe setup is sturdier than the the plastic, but also more expensive.

I hope this helps some people out in their decision to buy a CAI. Everyone try to post your opinions and suggestions on here!!

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I think this is a great thread idea. CAI and exhaust questions are easily some of the most common around here.

We also have a full parts list thread for all second gen Avengers, but it needs some updating.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
informative

Should be a help for those looking to buy a pre-made intake.
However you might want to list the Spectre build it yourself kits.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Should be a help for those looking to buy a pre-made intake.
However you might want to list the Spectre build it yourself kits.
Yeah I was thinking about that too. I will go and find some pics of Spectre CAIs on the 2.4 and add them to the original post a little later today.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, thanks man.......I would but I cant go back and add anything to it. I would also like to hear testimonials or maybe even some peoples youtube vid links.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry would like to know if the K&N will fit the 2011 2.4. MODS or Admin it would nice if there was an edit button so we can make changes to our post such as this and mis-spelled words.

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is an edit button, but I think you can only edit it for a few minutes after you initially post your comment.

As far as it fitting an '11 with a 2.4 engine, I think somebody showed before that you have something there on your transmission that the earlier years don't have, this makes for a difference in space available there where the filter usually goes (though I don't know how big of a difference it actually is).

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
huh

Sorry would like to know if the K&N will fit the 2011 2.4. MODS or Admin it would nice if there was an edit button so we can make changes to our post such as this and mis-spelled words.
There is an Edit" button once you log in next to the "Quote" button. I have used it quite a bit and works just fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked at my 2011 2.4 this morning and compared it to the picture of the K&N. It looks like it would fit but what is that big hose coming out of the K&N intake going back to the firewall? Does it have something to do with PZEV? I dont have anything like that on my factory intake hose.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
The Edit button is only available for 15 minutes after you post or something like that. If you have something you need changed past that I will do it for you no problem though.

Didn't get a chance to get pics today and I'm getting ready to go eat dinner so I'll have to do it tomorrow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I never noticed the button, and did realize that it went away after a period of time, thanks for the info will be useful in the future.
Okay I just posted this and wanted to edit a purposeful mistake "wanted to change did to did not:........no edit button just two quote buttons.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Do me a favor and look down at the bottom of the page below where is says "Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread" to a little box right below that on the left side of the screen that says "Posting Rules"

What does it say there, as in 'You ______ edit your posts'.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do me a favor and look down at the bottom of the page below where is says "Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread" to a little box right below that on the left side of the screen that says "Posting Rules"

What does it say there, as in 'You ______ edit your posts'.
Says "May Not" that is fine....don't know why, not but not that important. But it appears as though I have hijacked my own thread so back to the matter at hand. Will the K&N fit the 2011 it only lists as 2008-2010. Don't know if there have been any big changes in the engine bay from 10-11. Thanks. While we are at it will the dodge badge come off the front grille or is it a part of the grille. Again Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, if someone could answer my question about the big hose coming off of the K&N intake, I think that would answer bubblehead's question as well because other that that hose I think it will fit.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Yeah, the big hose is for the PZEV engine only. If you order the K&N for the regular 2.4 you will only have the small hose and the air temp sensor. As for it working on the 2011 2.4 I don't see a reason it shouldn't. As far as I know the only difference between the two in the engine bay (besides the strut brace) is the transmission which is now the 6 speed instead of the 4 and I don't think that would be in your way at all.

I will check into the issue of not being able to edit your own posts, another member was having the same problem as well.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I spoke with GT and the table is wrong. You need to be a senior member (75 posts) to edit your posts. Sorry for the confusion.

Until then, just let me know if you need anything changed and I will take care of it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts