Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to change the driver's side outer tie rod end on our Avenger. Since I don't have a FSM I'm hoping someone here can help me out with torque specs. I'm looking for the castle nut and jam nuts specs.

TIA

·
Registered
12 Posts
Front end specs.

02 - Front Suspension/Front/Specifications

SPECIFICATIONS

DESCRIPTION

N·m

Ft. Lbs.

In. Lbs.

Brake Shield 10 7 89 Crossmember Mounting Bolts 135 100 — Crossmember Reinforcement Bracket Mounting Screws 50 37 — Hub And Bearing Mounting Bolts 82 60 — Hub Nut 160 118 — Lower Ball Joint Stud Nut 95 70 — Lower Control Arm Front Pivot Bolt 175 129 — Lower Control Arm Rear Pivot Bolt Nut 145 107 — Stabilizer Bar Cushion Retainer Screws 60 44 — Stabilizer Bar Link Nuts 48 35 — Strut Clevis-to-Knuckle Nuts 140 103 — Strut Rod Nut 60 44 — Strut-to-Tower Nuts 55 41 — Tie Rod Adjuster Jam Nut 75 55 — Tie Rod End Knuckle Nut 85 63 — Wheel Mounting (Lug) Nuts 135 100 —

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a little confused by your post. I imagine the torque spec is 85. What's 63?

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tie rod to knuckle torque spec on the first generation Avengers is 45ft lbs. 65 sounds like it's in the ballpark.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure what to think now. I found this over on another forum. Someone posted the tie rod torque spec for the Caliber is 97ft lbs. Since the Dodge Avenger and Caliber use the same tie rod ends I would think the torque specs would be consistant. Both vehicles use Moog part number ES800408.

I have to buy a service manual but I hate like hell to waste money on a Haynes or Chilton. They just don't have the detail the factory service manuals do. If nothing else I guess they're good for this basic information. :i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
otoman, you're correct. This is an section taken from the Chilton manual.

To install:
  1. If it is not already installed, install the jam nut on the inner tie rod threads. Thread the jam nut down the inner tie rod far enough to allow for outer tie rod installation.
  2. Thread the outer tie rod onto the inner tie rod approximately the same amount of revolutions as the original was installed. Do not tighten the jam nut at this time.
  3. Install the outer tie rod end into the hole in the knuckle arm. Start a NEW tie rod mounting nut onto the stud. While holding the tie rod end stud with a wrench, tighten the nut with a wrench or crowfoot wrench. Tighten the nut to 63 ft. lbs. (85 Nm).
  4. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Adjust the front wheel toe setting.
  7. Tighten the tie rod jam nut to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm) once wheel toe is set.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You suck! :p

I have to find a FSM. I've had one for all the Jeep's I've owned. They're head and shoulders above what the aftermarket has to offer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts