Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Avenger 2.0 Diesel
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, am needing to replace my tpms on one wheel just wondering will it require me to get an OBD2 scanner and pair them up?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
The system should automatically find the new sensor.

Reactions: Zapo170

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Yes, it will self locate. BUT the replacement sensor has to be "programmed" to the cars VIN upon installation to the rim. Most all tire shops do this with any TPMS equipped car getting replacement units for a "nominal charge". It is NOT buy it and change it yourself and go.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
discount tire in my neck of the woods does it for free with any paid service, however I didn't realize they needed any programming

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I've had them replaced and also installed on a spare set of rims and never had to have them programmed.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
FUNNY, EVERY TPMS wheel sensor I've had replaced HAD to be "activated" to the car. Maybe not thru OBDII port, but with a hand held scan tool FOR TPMS sensors. You can't just buy one and put it in the rim and drive off. Even our '11 Journey needs this "activation" done and it uses the vehicles VIN.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
This is from the 2011 Dodge Avenger service manual:

• Once the vehicle has remained stationary for more than 20 minutes, drive vehicle for a minimum of 10 minutes while maintaining a continuous speed above 15 mph (24 km/h). During this time, the system will learn the new sensor ID. This is part of the TPM Diagnostic Verification Test.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts