Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 avenger 3.6 changed out a/c condensor last week and a/c is working fine ,,,now im getting a clunk from underneath when putting in gear and occasionally when driving ,,,trans seems to be shifting normally with no excessive rpms ..jacked up til front wheels were clear put in gear and as I hit 25mph I heard the clunk bad ...is tranny done or could it be left front cv joint going ??? don't have another person here that can look while its up ,,,,just looking for \opinions at this point

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked all three mounts ,,,,don't see a specific tranny mount all three seem engine and all seem intact

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 2014 Avenger SE V6 6-speed has always had a somewhat clunky transmission since I purchased it new. Not always, not in every situation. I notice it sometimes when creeping at slow speeds. I consider it to be normal for this car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah this one did it off and on but it just got worse,,,gonna try a filter and fluid change next as its due 140 gs on mine funny thing is the condenser for the a/c has the transmission cooler built into it..and it didn't do it this bad til after I swapped out the condenser

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
I realize that you said you checked 3 of the motor mounts, but there are 4(yes there is one for the trans. driver side too). Well documented on the forumz here of the weakness of the front mount to tear up the rubber insert bushing, I suggest you go back and give it another good look.
Also IF you could get a "helper", to sit in the drivers seat and with the car on the ground(hood open) have him put it in gear with the brakes applied and give it a little gas while you check for the motor and trans to "rock" forward when in drive and then to watch for motor to "rock"back towards the firewall in reverse. The front and rear mounts take the majority of movement (wear) on FWD cars. The actual noise could be coming from the exhaust hitting the cross member from excessive "rock" when in driving use.
One last possibility could be wear in the pass side driveshaft carrier bearing or stub axleshaft splines that the pass side half shaft has to the stub axle from the trans there at the carrier bearing unit.
Very hard to give a here is the fix answer for your ride as there are a number of things that can cause the condition you describe that need a good checking out...good luck and keep in touch as you progress in checking things out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking maybe cv joints or maybe carrier bearings,,,,,i will look better today let ya know as I go

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well changed tranny filter and fluid ,,,helped with shifting but still occasionally getting the clunk when accelerating ….cant seem to locate the issue ,,,,still trying ,,,sigh

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Well good luck and keep checking! There are many different causes documented on the pages here for various "clunking" noises. But as you have narrowed it down to during a shift, that points to mounts or CV Joints.
At 140k miles, if it has the original motor mounts I would go back over those, the pages here have many members with the 3.6 talking of the front mount being very susceptible to wear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah I hot a bad pothole last night in the dark and have a front end shimmy I think is a Tire Or Wheel anyways ,,,,so off to Mavis to have the stuff checked :)?

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Well that's not good:(. It's easier to take care of ONE problem at a time, instead of multiples..... Good Luck!;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well bad news is bent rim and tire out of balance ,,,god news is straightened the rim the best I could and Mavis Tire rebalanced both front tires and checked all the front end and suspension components .,.Nothing wrong there ….so where is the clunk coming from ,,,,,Hmmmmmmmm ?????. New answer drive it til something breaks then we will know

1 - 12 of 12 Posts