Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing a rear drum brake job. And to bleed the brakes I jacked the car up in the front to get the air bubbles out. I left it overnight. When I lowered the car and went to drive the car would not drive. In any gear. It caught a minute later and when moved there was a huge puddle of trans fluid. Any one have any ideas?

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Never heard of bleeding your brakes that way? Did you look for any drips to see where the fluid might be coming from? Was it under the middle of the car or more to either side? Did you maybe damage a line or the trans pan when jacking the car up?

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Think back as to where you located the jack you used....did you place it under the transmission bottom pan? If so I'd start looking there and be prepared to buy some replacement parts including possible valve body parts inside the bottom pan. Just as member Intrepid posted and maybe you even got lucky and just a trans cooler line broke between the trans. and radiator. Time to do some close looking underneath and under hood.....Good luck and let us know what you find. :)

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Then Start looking around there. The trans cooler lines run near there.
As a suggestion, do NOT jack the car by using the motor/trans OR the lower radiator support area. go to the K frame behind the motor OR out where front jack points are on the sides.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. So it looks like its leaking from a inspection plate between the oil pan and trans. But I dont see any problem. Leak definently coming from there

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
That sounds like the torque converter /trans. pump seal. It is much like the engine's rear crankshaft seal in function. From your posting this does not sound to be from just jacking up the car as you posted of and finding this. This generally seeps for some time before just "blowing out". I would have to suggest a good reputable shop check it out, even if you have to have it towed to save any further possible internal trans. damage.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
That sounds like the torque converter /trans. pump seal. It is much like the engine's rear crankshaft seal in function. From your posting this does not sound to be from just jacking up the car as you posted of and finding this. This generally seeps for some time before just "blowing out". I would have to suggest a good reputable shop check it out, even if you have to have it towed to save any further possible internal trans. damage.
Good Luck!
Nice this might really help you

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Anyone know where to get a used trans with a warranty?
With the newest possible "used" trans being 8 years old now...I doubt you can(or anyone) find such a unit with more than a 30 day"warranty". And that would be from a salvage yard.
A pretty big job to replace a trans, even on the 4 cyl. model Avenger/200 models...Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts