Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Avenger SXT Plus, 3.6 auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I love my car, hate the transmission. So I was curious to know if there was any upgrade parts or a swappable 9 speed from a newer front drive vehicle with the 3.6 that would work. Getting tired of it hunting constantly when driving, especially in town. What has everyone else done to theirs to make it more livable?

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
You may want to look on rockauto.com for your car. Go to the transmission section and look at shift improvement kit (Transgo SK62TE).
In all my auto tech years I never really went inside auto trans much, so I can't tell you if this would definitely help you out.
With todays electronic controls, I doubt that the newer (other than 62te) would "blend" to your car.
EDIT: Have you taken the trans pan down yet and replaced the filter and trans oil?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I will have to look into that kit, seems like it might help, and yeah, I did do the filter and oil change, and I didn't really need to, as it looked like the dealer had it done when they got it, saw no improvement on the shifting. It isn't so bad on the highway, just in town driving has it going all over the place, like it can't decide what gear I need.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
depending on how long you have had it and how many miles previous owner(s) put on it, it may just have trouble learning your style from what it knows

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
Hmm, I will have to look into that kit, seems like it might help, and yeah, I did do the filter and oil change, and I didn't really need to, as it looked like the dealer had it done when they got it, saw no improvement on the shifting. It isn't so bad on the highway, just in town driving has it going all over the place, like it can't decide what gear I need.
IF you do try this, whether DIY or "shop done", PLEASE report back how the install went and if it helped(and what specific changes happen).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
depending on how long you have had it and how many miles previous owner(s) put on it, it may just have trouble learning your style from what it knows
Interesting, i didn't realize these transmissions would do that. I bought the car with just over 70k miles on it, have put another 3-4k on since, you'd think it would have it figured out by now lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IF you do try this, whether DIY or "shop done", PLEASE report back how the install went and if it helped(and what specific changes happen).
I am looking into pricing today, and if it looks like something I can do on a weekend, I will give it a go, or else the trans shop is getting my money. I will for sure report back how it goes once done.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Interesting, i didn't realize these transmissions would do that. I bought the car with just over 70k miles on it, have put another 3-4k on since, you'd think it would have it figured out by now lol.
computers work on averages, it doesn't know who is driving, you have put on less than 10% of its miles. Ideally maybe once you put on 40k miles it would be mostly happy with your driving. Disconnecting the battery for a while may ease your situation

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
computers work on averages, it doesn't know who is driving, you have put on less than 10% of its miles. Ideally maybe once you put on 40k miles it would be mostly happy with your driving. Disconnecting the battery for a while may ease your situation
Yes the 62TE is an adaptive learn computer controlled trans. A high level(above basic OBDII) scanner can go into and reset learned parameters. BUT also this trans has been known for conditions that are "mechanical" in nature and why such a "kit" as I posted of IS available.
We have that same trans(coupled with AWD take off) in our Journey. We don't do a lot of "city" driving, but when we do get to one sometimes the shifting pattern does seem a bit "odd". BUT by no means as a MALFUNCTION. When the original trans went bad in ours shortly after buying it, I considered such kit to be installed in the used trans that got the car going again. My friend and shop owner that did the work said to wait and see how the replacement trans does first, so we did not get the kit. We agreed that IF we did, that we would do it together as he is more proficient at trans work than I ever was and I'm 20 years out of that "loop".

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
Also, since specific symptoms have not been made clear.
There are many cases where a malfunctioning TCC Solenoid may leave the torque converter lock up engaged. Most commonly seen in wanting to stall when coming to a stop, but could affect gear shifting at low speed(city driving).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Bringing the topic back......
The Syked ECU programmer allows any parameter change to the 62TE FWD transmission. The options are endless as its engineering level of adjustments. I've got my 62TE set for Grany shifting in auto and full manual control in autostick......Line pressures changed/shift points change/ downshifts changed/ etc.etc........
"IF" you can get your hands on an unlocked "Syked" programmer, I'd use it registered for your vehicle so you can make transmission adjustments.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts