Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its an issue and probably thread onbit but how do I stop my trunk lid from filling up with water and getting everthing in my trunk wet.. already put gasket sealer on spoiler bolts but didnt help

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I had to pull out the 2 rectangular rubber plugs near the front lip of the trunk lid. No more leaks.

·
Registered
870 Posts
If you remove the two rubber bungs from the bottom of the boot(trunk) lid the water will run straight out if it leaks in the future.
Also bear in mind that if it has been raining and there is water on your trunk lid lift it slowly and let the excess water run off onto the rear window before you open it fully.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I lift slow.. just. Blows my. Mind that water can actually get in the lid. I lift lid and damn near half a gallon flows out the holes n latch.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Water is probably getting in via the 3rd brake light, the factory seal is marginal at best, folks have removed it and run a bead of black silicone on the foam gasket and reinstalled with good results. Worth a try.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
fix

Water is probably getting in via the 3rd brake light, the factory seal is marginal at best, folks have removed it and run a bead of black silicone on the foam gasket and reinstalled with good results. Worth a try.
This seems to be the best fix.

Also the lifting it slowly helps keep the water on top of the trunk from rushing in.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I find the best way is to crawl in the trunk with a flashlight and have someone hose it down and find where the water is coming in... Fix the cause not guess

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I find the best way is to crawl in the trunk with a flashlight and have someone hose it down and find where the water is coming in... Fix the cause not guess
Then what will everyone bitch about?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had and still have this issue. Mine got so bad it shorted the deck lid brake light and caused the alarm to start going off. I took it to a trusted mechanic who kept it for a week and used two tubes of silcone sealant to seal the now new deck lid brake light gasket and every entry point he could find including the fastening points for the spoiler. I took it through the car wash today and went to the store afterward. When I slowly lifted the lid to put it my groceries, I was met with the telltale slosh inside the lid. I took the bung plugs out and closed it and watched it drain for about 2-3 minutes. Totally baffled here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts