Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2lt TD has been dying at times, the turbo seems to give up the ghost and sort of goes into "limp mode", turn it off and back on again and its fine, so... i've been reading up about this problem on a VW Passat and its a canny common problem. At around 3,000 rpm it is over boosting (let too much air in) and its the N75 valve or summit... any one had/got the same problem?

Stotty

p.s. Hopefully my research is correct and its not summit alot bigger... ie turbo itself

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
That sounds very irritating, wish I knew a bit more to help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I haven't heard of such thing, but have you tried read the error codes with an OBD diagnostic tool? I had a problem with my turbocharger 2 years ago, when it looked that it died. I had no power at all. I used at that time my laptop with an OBD interface (it cost me around 100 euro), i read the error code and that way i could speak with a mechanic and solved the problem. Well, actually i didn't solve it completely, but now is working just fine and at least i know what the problem was.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had a similiar fault with my diesel PT cruiser(so did a lot of other owners), all types of codes being reported(wastegate solenoid etc), but get upto 3000rpm engine management light came on loss of power.
stop turn off turn on again all ok until you hit 3000rpm again.

it was a split in the intercooler pipe (rubber pipe between the turbo and the inlet), on the PT is was on the back of the pipe so you couldn't see it.
bet thats your problem

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cant say I've any problems with mine apart from the terrible turbo lag .I had the same problem as Charlie with the PT , took us over 5 hours to travel home to Glasgow from RAF Woodvale as we were towing a caravan at the time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i would go with Charlie and Stevie. even a loose joint can cause this.. just try tightening up the jublee clips on the thick pipes from the turbo, going to the intercooler under the radiator and back to the inlet manifold..

Wodge

·
Registered
48 Posts
After saying what i said before, i finally got into the same situation. The engine enter into the limp mode and i couldn't go faster that 80km/h and above 3000rpm. The MIL lamp has turned on. I scanned it with my laptop and the error code "P0299 - Turbo/supercharger under-boost" it was showed. First my mechanic said i should change the turbocharger, but when he finally got close to it, turned out that a small rubber hose from the bypass was broken. He changed it and everithing is working fine now. Ciao!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
FYI guys, I just took the Beast in for it's service before the warranty runs out and the guys at S&C spotted at split in my 'pipes to the turbocharger'. I am currently in the process of having these(this?) replaced under the warranty. Definately looks like a weakness to watch for.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Been having this same problem as Stotty , poor throttle response , limp home mode etc. Decided to disconnect the MAF sensor (VW forum) and hey presto, all back to normal. New MAF sensor on order.

·
Registered
12 Posts
have similar problem, goes into limp mode etc (no mil light though) fine if turn off then on. Garage said I have small splits in top intake hose (£75) and in the intercooler pipe (£145) + vat. Could this be my problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
870 Posts
have similar problem, goes into limp mode etc (no mil light though) fine if turn off then on. Garage said I have small splits in top intake hose (£75) and in the intercooler pipe (£145) + vat. Could this be my problem?

Thanks.
Split turbo hoses are a common problem so it is quite likely that this is your problem, I had the same problem with mine. A replacement intercooler pipe is available from EBay for about £63.00 plus postage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, i will check ebay once i identify which part of the intercooler pipe they said is leaking. Dont suppose you have the link to the one you mentioned? thanks

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I know this wont help your issue but im curious, im assuming thats not factory turbo? Im interested in what you used.

Yup, Turbo is factory on the CRD variants (a Garrett I believe). ;)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Thanks, i will check ebay once i identify which part of the intercooler pipe they said is leaking. Dont suppose you have the link to the one you mentioned? thanks
Contact www.vospers.com . The part no is C00K04891782AB and the price was £52.59 plus vat and postage , total cost was £68.06 .
Their telephone no is 01752 636363

·
Registered
12 Posts
Split turbo hoses are a common problem so it is quite likely that this is your problem, I had the same problem with mine. A replacement intercooler pipe is available from EBay for about £63.00 plus postage.
You was right, the top plastic pipe (No.04891853AB) had starting splitting along both joint seams, did temp fix with insulation tape and couple of cable ties and hey presto it cured the problem!! happy days. Thanks:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Check out the throttle body also ..mine had all the same symptoms as youve all mentioned but I also had a look at the throttle body .....full of gunk! which was keeping the paddle valve open ....stripped, cleaned, re fitted ......no more problem.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had the same problem that only started a couple of days ago on a long run. I pulled up and switched off and back on and all was well. Had the same issue again on the return journey. My initial thoughts are the MAF but after reading the whole thread I will check the rest of the pipe work before shelling out. I have had starting problems when firing up from cold, had to hold the throttle open a tad until it would idle on its own, so the issue might all be linked.
The power of tinternt is great and cheap :smileup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nowadays i had the same problem. The tester said P0234 Boost condition. The mechanic made the repair by changing the 6Q0906625 part.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts