Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I picked up my uconnect kit today from my Dodge dealer. Looks simple to install. I started reading through the instructions and install looks like a breeze. But alas I read that I had to activate it with a star scan tool. Is this something only the dealer has or can I get one from auto parts store? Help me please.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
You will have to take it back to the dealer to have them starscan it. You can buy a starscan from chrysler, but the $3000-$4000 or whatever they are is pretty cost prohibitive. If your dealer is cool, they might do it for free, if not, I wouldn't spend more than $40 to have them do it. If they want more...find a different dealer. :)

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I tried to add just the Uconnect to my car when I ordered it. The dealer said it wasn't possible, so I got the package that included it. Good luck with your install. Make sure you post a How to if you want, and take lots of pics!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually got the complete kit from Dodge. It is plug and play pretty much. It has the harness to hook up to my factory radio. The only bad thing is they have to activate it at the dealer. I am scheduled for my hood to be repainted on Monday, I think I'll just let them install and activate it.

James

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Whats up with your hood? Manufacturer defect? If so, then you have a little wiggle room. I would either install it myself and insist they starscan it at no charge, or try to insist they install it for you at no charge. I would think that if you had a major issue (do to no fault of your own) they would be willing to accomodate you. Its not like star scanning is a big deal, its really not. Just most places charge for it, unless you know someone personally or something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got the black R/T and after the first car wash I spotted a blemish on the hood. It is a hazy looking spot in the clear coat. It is probably as big as an egg. It reminded me of the spot a firework would make after burning. I took it to dealer to get fixed during a recall. Nothing happend, so I took it back during some other work and the agent said he had to email a pic to Dodge and would call me back. Well they never called me back so when I picked up my uconnect, I asked again and the agent said bring it on Monday and they would fix it. I think they where hoping I would just forget about it. I think they knew about the spot before I bought it, but the shine it all up before delivery and I didn't see it. After the first car wash it was very evident. Hopefully it will look like new when I get it back next week. I'm taking it in on Monday, they said they need the car for a week to fix it.
:gy:

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Wow, a whole week. I have to have my front bumper repainted due to over-spray, and they only had it for three days. They even gave me a POS rental car. It was an old Pontiac Grand Am. That was on my G6 by the way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:hah:He didn't give me an exact amount of time, but said a few days. I am just planning for the worst. They did say they would give me a loaner. Maybe I should get Charger v-8 for a loaner, alas they probably wont do that either.:hah:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
As long as they do it right, time doesn't matter! I found a similar imperfection on one of the rear pillers of my car. Only I noticed it, not sure what it is, not hazy clear coat but almost like the mix of paint wasn't correct at that point. That and 2 little dings by the trunk. I didn't say anything about any of them and I'm sure its too late, but I didn't feel like having this particular dealer do the work of fixing them. I figured they would want to fill and paint the dings and repaint the other side...I didn't want them to mess it up.

So I just figured I'd wait until i can get the local body shop to do it for a reasonable price. They do great work, so I'm not worried if they do it, plus they warranty it forever. I have doubts about this other dealer, but I haven't dealt with them for much yet.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds like you are right about the spot on your hood. They most likely did try to hide it and hope that no-one would notice it until they had it for a while and then it would be debatable on whether or not it was there from the beginning. I wish this didn't happen but it does. And it gives the rest of us a bad rep.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thing I cannot figure is that the dealer seems to live and die by customer surveys from dodge about service, ect. Yet I had to stay on them about the one problem. Everytime it wasn't fixed I gave a not good review. But I must say some good also, buying from Norman Chrysler Dodge was very easy ( except one finance guy who tried to put extra things on the finished contract till I caught it and made him remove it.) I am really pleased with my Avenger, could do with out the recalls though. :wavey:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts