Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Not sure if i have posted in the right section

i'm the proud owner of a UK Dodge Avenger 2.0 CRD SXT I have a few questions that I am hoping you guys can help me with

I understand it is a vw passat engine

Are the servicing intervals the same as a vw passat?

Is there anyone that supply me service check sheets for the minor and major service?

Does the vehicle have a DPF?

The handbrake is a big high, how can I adjust this?

any common fault/concerns that I need to look out for?

Cheers

·
Super Italian Moderator
5,164 Posts
Hi and welcome from Italy! I have a 08 CRD Caliber , we have the same engine.
Doesn't your car come with a book with the list of checks and services to do? It does here.
I'd scan mine for you but I think it's all in italian so it wouldn't help much .... anyway I get service every 15000kms.
There are many owners from UK here, they will chime in soon and give you more infos. Meanwhile I'm moving your thread to a more proper area, here you will find some other threads that have some answers to your questions.... like:
Do our CRD's have a DPF?
VW Passat or Audi A6?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, purchased the vehicle privately, no service books or manuals were supplied, the owner serviced the car himself, but i intend to have a major service done on it soon to be on the safe side

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi and welcome..

There are a few of us brits on here!
There is no DPF.. so no clogging issues
Service interval is 10000 miles, but cant tell you at the moment what is done apart from the usual oil and filter changes, brake checks and top ups. i will have a look in my service book when i get a chance. You might find a replacement drivers pack on fleabay.
My handbrake seems to change after every service, i think it gets adjusted then aswell. Maybe a weak point in the design..

The engine is a 2.0 138 VW PD engine with 16valves from a Golf GT TD. Altough it says CRD on the back of the car, it isnt a common rail engine, its the older PumpDuse type. On the plus side they are indistructable as long as you change the oil on time and keep an eye on the cambelt
The gearbox is made by Aisin (part of toyota) as used on an Avensis.
The fuel filter needs to be changed every 2 years. You will get a stutter when on the motorway if this is getting blocked.
The alternator is a another weak point.
There is loads of info in the diesel section on here!

The brakes have no wear sensors on the pads so you have to check them yourself, usually the brake warning light will come on because the fluid level has dropped as sensed by the VERY sensitive level sensor.

Thats all i can think of for now, but there is plenty to browse on here!

Good luck

Wodge

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi wodge great info!

Any ideas how i adjust the handbrake?

What oil do you recommend? Do the service intervals increase if i were to use long life castrol edge gold 5w30?

How many litres are required?

Is there an interval for the gearbox oil?

·
Registered
208 Posts
no probs.

The oil MUST be suitable for a VW Pumpeduse engine. There is a specification for it a along the lines of VW 505-01 or something like that. You must stick to the 10000 mile changes tho, long life oil wont make much difference as the oil gets very sooty in normal use. If the engine gets a bit more rattly than usual it could need a top up of oil. Mine usually needs about a liter at 5000 miles after a change

No idea how to adjust the handbrake, try using the search function on here, someone has proberbly written it up.
Gearbox oil, havnt a clue.. being a toyota item, i would guess never :)

Dont forget, You could always ask at your local chrysler dealer, they are usually very helpful....

wodge

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, halfrauds online confirms that castrol edge gold 5w30 is suitable, so il b purchasing that from asda though 5 litres £47, do you know much the engine takes?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
go to the dodge.com website and you can download the ownersmanual.

Just checked it, do not show the 2.0 D in the manual. Try an old dealer, they might have some "cheap" spareparts as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive had the vehicle for a week, previous owner had it remapped by angle tuning to 177 bhp it certainly does shift! Gets alot of attention, few niggles i dont like the exhaust pipe is naff and the rear end is quite high gets a bit deceptive when your not sure how close you are to anything, apart from that great car i intend to keep long term

·
Registered
208 Posts
cant see anything about capacities in the manual, but i have always been charged by the garage for four and a half liters of oil.
Try four liters, i guess, then top up!
My local chrysler dealer (horsham) sell lots of bits on fleabay including service kit

wodge

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does the vehicle have an onboard service indicator? A friend also mentioned the fuel filter needs to be drained of water??? As this is the case with some other vw engines too, is this correct? Where does the water come from?

Are engine flushes and fuel additives recommended prior to servicing?

·
Registered
208 Posts
The fuel filter is a sealed unit i think and has to be replaced. The water is in with the fuel, what is in these is a mystery to me but they are important and not cheap. 40 quid or so.

caliberowners.co.uk have a lot of Howto's on maintanance in their diesel section.

If you look into some of my old posts there are links to various PDF's that i have found looking for similar answers you have.
There is a PDF on the dodge usa website of the 2008 owners manual, but only the us version and it doesnt mention diesels.

I think there are service conters on the onbard computer, never looked at them tho..

Wodge

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Wodge, couldn't find anything on this forum with relation to handbrake adjustment will check out caliberforums...

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you didn't find anything on the forum, i sugest looking for a service manual. I have mine. Is usefull when you make the repairs by yourself. Is for a 2008 2.0 140Hp Avenger, like mine. If you want, i can give it to you. Is a .pdf format, but is very large. It has 48MB.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey dan i couldnt find anything, it would be great if you could somehow provide a copy or if you could upload it some where

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could you please send me a PM with your email address. Then i will use an upload site to send it to you. If you propose something else, please let me know. All the best!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hope you received it now. I made the upload through transfer.ro site. If not, please tell.
Anyway, despite the fact that it cost me few dollars, i want everyone to know that i'm willing to share this file with anyone interested. Just tell, OK?
Have fun with the repairs and i hope you won't open the manual too often.
Happy motoring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts