UPCOMING RETIREMENT !! | Page 4 | Dodge Avenger Forum

UPCOMING RETIREMENT !!

Discussion in 'Pre 2007 Dodge Avenger General Discussion' started by 5rebel9, Mar 12, 2016.

1. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    8/23/17 UPDATE:
    Well it has been 10 days and the "GEM" has been driven daily for the last 5 of them(even by the WIFE), and no further troubles has re occurred! It must have been a "glitch" in the system somewhere that has worked itself out!
    When the weather dries out, and I can have the car down for a day, I am going to pull the differential cover off the trans and check the differential and spider gears and pin for wear. I have always noticed a steady "whine" under light throttle at a steady speed that goes away when letting off the gas pedal and it basically is in a cruise or coast mode.
    I have tracked it to this area by sound location and that I have recently put Lucas brand trans additive into it and the noise was significantly reduced. It was never a worrisome noise and never got overbearingly loud..just annoying to hear on longer drives!...Stay tuned for further updates!

2. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    8/24/17 UPDATE:
    Well I must say the Lucas brand products seem to do their jobs very well! the "whine" under acceleration is still diminishing and trans shifts are a lot smoother than before. We have put 200 miles on it in the last 3 days,NO recurrence of the P1760 code, that put it into "limp mode". Still want to check the spider gears and pin of the differential section, and do another trans fluid and filter change with another dose of Lucas trans product!

3. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    I now have control of GEM(the Avenger)! the wife keeps complaining of trans. trouble when she drives it, Yet I have NO troubles at all when I drive it! she is taking the Lux. Liner for normal transportation and I use it when trailering or dump runs required. I must keep using the cruise control,or I will loose my license as handling and speed sensation are very deceptive driving GEM!!

bhawk509 likes this.
  4. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    9/11/17 UPDATE:
    I am still driving GEM, Have NOT had any troubles, My son used it on Sun. of labor day weekend and it did the trans limp mode to him once and cleared the CEL on its own within 10 miles, after doing a shut down/restart. I am thinking the torque converter lock up solenoid was "sticking" and would not release to allow for down shifting when slowing down. I have YET to have this happen to me to confirm, and the Lucas trans. additive I put in has all but cured the Whine it has had since we bought GEM.

5. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    9/12/17 NEW UPDATE:
    Have been trying all I know to make the limp mode happen to me without a hiccup happening...
    TODAY I tried starting out with the gear lever in the low gear and take off, It self shifted through all gears, at WOT never going past 6100 rpms and all upshifts were smooth. I had NEVER tried to do this before, and thought it odd that with lever in low that it would still go thru all upshifts that way. Any thoughts are welcome,save for the comments of why would I do such a thing anyway(beat you all to the punch)! I guess it is time for my own self researching for a possible problem of my own!

6. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    WELL maybe this is why I have not gotten any responses, I GOOFED UP!
    The DTC that threw the CEL on is code P1768..Trans control relay always off.
    But is an intermittant problem, Also I can find NOBODY that stocks the EATX relay(is mounted next to ASD and fuel pump relay). BUT what was done is that although the same relay, the plastic modular plugs for each are different shapes and do NOT interchange without modification!
    As I have stated the car drives fine for me, yet the wife complains of it dropping into limp mode. Put it in Neutral and restart the car and all is fine. Yet I have never had to do this myself.

7. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    9/23/17 UPDATE:
    Found sticky contact of the EATX relay on the firewall was causing the trouble, has not acted up in any way since last report, EVEN with the wife reasserting daily driving of GEM ..AGAIN! I am back to having the Lux. Liner for daily use:(!

8. Avenger KLady

Avenger KLady New Member

Oh wow... I completely understand though.
    So I now I know the part I posted yesterday was the 02 sensor and I was told if it's bad I'll get a "ck. eng." come on. Today when I got home the car smelled (that smokey hot smell) but I did not see that stream of smoke coming up from underneath anymore (from that sensor area) - so that's good! New plugs today - Meineke said they were showing signs of wear - they also said a "boot" was folded over (near spark plug area) they fixed and also checked the ERG valve which was fine/closed. But I still feel the car is taking too long to accelerate. Then again maybe it's me and the way I'm driving? I didn't drive on the freeway the past several years (rarely had to) and I'm wondering when you get on the freeway do you "punch it" to get it going faster? I just feel like I'm constantly pushing down the pedal all the way (even in town). Do you feel this way?

9. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    @AvengerKLady,
    I appreciate your reading my thread,My Avenger(GEM is now back on the road after a 1.5 yr "hibernation". It never was a "rocket" from a standing start,but was NO DIFFERENT than any other car make in normal driving conditions. Due To engine design most power is developed at mid range and top end(30 + mph),
    Below that it drives like any other normal car, but NEVER afraid that it was too slow or incapable of matching traffic. But yes for quick take offs from a stop does require moderate throttle input. I live out in the "sticks" with mostly 55mph roads and when traveling for appt's./shopping/whatnot to city areas(freeways) have LOVED the performance/responsiveness/handling of our GEM. Beyond exhaust work(normal for my rust belt state) the only parts replacement do to trouble has been an alternator and Valve Cover Gaskets.
    As for your situation, I suggest keeping further comparisons on your thread that is active. So nobody gets confused as to who's car is doing what. I have and will be monitoring for responses,as I try to be very active on the forum.

10. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    6/12/18 UPDATE:
    Wow, It has been a while since I did anything with this tread!
    Well the GEM soldiers on as wife's main drive. but today I bit the bullet and found a set of 16" caravan alloy rims with a design that would look ok on GEM. They are in a bit of a mess for needing a good cleaning and a possible "color over" spray. But to get all 4 AND a pair of BRAND NEW 215/65R16 tires(for my T&C) for a total of $150.00, I can put forth a little "elbow grease" to get them looking good again and then put some 205/55R16's on them!
    I don't like the slight vibration at speed from the nice looking but troublesome option 17's that it has, and the slightly taller sidewall of the 16's should help SOME of the shock of the MANY road craters around us!:eek:

EDIT: PIC's will be posted when done with refurb. and skins put on!
    And I already know the wheels will NOT be as "cool" as the 17's look, but at least they are straight and not bent.

11. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    OKAY!
    Refurb and new new skins installed ! The rim design works well with the lines of the Coupe, and same color as the 17"rims. I went from 215/50R17 on 17x6.5's to 205/55R16's on 16x7's. Ride and cornering AND pothole troubles are a major improvement, so I'm very HAPPY with the change.:D BUT due to an early morning trip to Watkins Glen Speedway tomorrow and last minute window cleaning and such to do, more pic's will be taken there and posted by the end of the weekend. ;)

12. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Well here are two for a start from Watkins Glen...IF they come thru here!...LOL:D Please concentrate on the WHEELS!;)

Yes my son is much better looking than I!:eek:

Attached Files:

13. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, it took this "old dog" some time to relearn how to download pic's to my computer, and now am trying to post them here...hope they show up OK!;)
    YES, I actually got my son to wash the car!:D
    DSC06223.JPG

DSC06221.JPG DSC06222.JPG DSC06219.JPG DSC06220.JPG