Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Not sure if this forum is still very active or if anyone has encountered this same problem, but after hours of digging around on google it's worth a shot.
My car is a 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT with the 2.7L DOHC v6 Engine.
I was in the process of removing the front valve cover to do a gasket replacement when my socket became stuck on one of the stud nuts due to it being lightly rusted. When I pulled to get the socket off, the entire stud assembly came completely out from the cover. From my research, this is not supposed to happen. How do I get the stud back into the valve cover? The ring bit is supposed to sit in the cover. I have been searching around for an answer and haven't found what I'm looking for which is very frustrating.
The part number in question is 4792321AC, I attached a picture of it for your convenience. Like I mentioned earlier, the part is completely separated from the cover.

Sorry if my explanation is a bit foggy, it's a bit hard to explain.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
Welcome to the Forumz...YES there is still activity here!
So just what is your main thrust in looking for info of this "problem"?
Looks to me like the stud and nut are easily separated by double nutting the portion that goes into the cylinder head and working the nut off that was tightened to far and "bottomed" above the valve cover surface. MY question would be, how much of a hole is in the Valve Cover for the spacer to hold to? If not flat, can it be "tapped" back flat with a bucking tool and hammer?
The 2.7 was used in a LOT of Chrysler/FCA vehicles, A salvage yard would be the easiest place to locate and get any of those common(yet hard to get new) pieces.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
This is what the part number that you listed looks like:
1589804541332.png
Hopefully the stud did not pull out of the head stripping the threads. Looks like the new part will create a pressure fit into the valve cover with the rubber seal. If you enlarge this picture it looks like the rubber seal is missing on your part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply and it's good to know there's still activity here! I'm new to the Avenger myself.

So although the picture doesn't really do it justice, the "bolt", "washer" and "nut" are all one solid piece. The only piece that moves is the spacer. The spacer is meant to remain in the valve cover, while the bolt is unscrewed from the head but not completely removed from the cover. I don't have exact measurements, but the spacer has a small flange on the ends making it bigger then the hole in the valve cover. It almost seems as though the spacer was pressed into the cover at the factory like a rivet, but they sell that part (4792321AC) as one whole piece so I'm not sure. I also am unable to remove the spacer from the bolt, I can slide it up and down but not all the way off.

I'm heading out to tinker with it again after I drink my morning coffee, so I can get you better pics or measurements if needed.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankfully the bolt was already completely free from the head at the time it pulled out or that would be a whole other nightmare. Yeah, I believe they are the same part but mine probably pulled or ripped through the seal when it came out. It's just a matter of how to get the new piece into the cover. I've been trying to find a video of someone doing this to no avail. I'm going to get a better look once I get the cover off again, I had to abandon ship the last time because it was getting dark.

Thanks again for your reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts