Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just changed the timing belt for 100,000km on my 2008 Avenger end my mechanic declared that this engine is a Audi A6 engine and not a VW Passat because it has only one timing belt. Are you aware of this? Is it true?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I thought it was the engine from a golf GT TD

Is there a VW sticker on the cambelt cover with the engine code.

Mine says BYL which is the engine code.

Different engines may have been used for different markets to conform to emission controls. The BYL engine doesnt have a particulate filter..

[BSY] = NON-Balance Shaft Engine
[BYL] = Balance Shaft Engine WITHOUT Diesel Particulate Filter
[BWD] = Balance Shaft Engine WITH Diesel Particulate Filter

Wodge

·
Registered
104 Posts
I took mine to Kwikfit when i first got it (brakes) and the first thing the mechanic told me was "you do know its a VW engine... keep it serviced and it will last forever" - so yea... mines without doubt a VW.

I have been looking at getting mine remapped and most sites say at present i have 138bhp - which would be the VW, however 1 or 2 do say it's 140bhp - which is the same as a Audi 2lt turbo diesel... so yea... some might be but mines a VW

Stotty

·
Super Italian Moderator
5,164 Posts
it's a VW but actually we could say it's both, a VW engine used also on some Audis, according to wikipedia CRD Calibers (and Avengers) have:

Diesel 2007–2011 2.0 L I4 turbo (from Volkswagen 170hp TDI) 138 bhp (103 kW) 229 lb·ft (310 N·m) Europe & Australia only, FWD

that is :

From --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines#134-170_hp_2.0_TDI

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just to let you guys know, the VW vs Audi thing is like Dodge vs Jeep, they are all part of the same company.

The Porsche family (Porsche Automobil Holding SE) owns controlling interest of Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Scania, SEAT, Škoda, and VolksWagon. They also own 19.9% of Suzuki Motors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah! Thanks guys. It looks like i have the Audi's engine. Interesting to know though, beside all the commercial interests.

·
Registered
841 Posts
i thought VW owned all those other companies?

either way, its an interesting read at the Wiki, look for the Ownership section
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vw

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
You are right, VW owns them, but look who the largest shareholder of VW is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vw#Ownership
yeah but note the sentence just above that says "The Porsche Automobil Holding is owned by the Porsche family, the Emirate of Qatar, 49.9% are owned by the Volkswagen AG", so almost half of PAH is owned by VW AG :4-looney: LOL

·
Registered
502 Posts
I just call it GerMan Or German GM. I also like how BMW is like the only german car not in that group and holds their own. Proof the little guy can hang with the big boys.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I just call it GerMan Or German GM. I also like how BMW is like the only german car not in that group and holds their own. Proof the little guy can hang with the big boys.
that is true! my buddy at work is a BMW guy, loves them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts