Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So first thing first. I haven't posted in a while because I had a full time summer job so it has been hard to get free time. I will be posting newer pics of my Avanger sometime next week & pop in every now & then. On to the topic. I want to drop a 5.7L Hemi in my 2.4L 4 Cylinder 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT! Why? My Avenger is a little slow. I don't know about anyone else's Avenger but to accelorate it takes a while. When I merge on ramps on the highway I have to almost floor it for it to reach 65 mph. My friend gave me the idea & I really want to consider it. Will the 5.7L Hemi fit? Will it work? Will it affect other parts of the car? More importantly has anyone else done this before? I have other options like a 4 cylinder turbo charged Dodge Neon engine. Any advice will be great thanks! I really am series & really want to do this!

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I think this needs to be moved over to the "jokes and humor" section.

Honestly thou, you want to drop in a 5.7 v8 with a RWD trans into a car with a FWD set-up? I think it is going to take a lot of custom work to handle the TQ and then hold the motor and not to mention setting off every CEL in the world unless you know how to wire everything.

If you really want to do this, search for the other threads on this topic and come back with a "plan" on what you want to do with details.

Honestly thou, it would be a simpler swap to go with the SRT4 Neon motor and call it a day.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
love the enthusiasum

So the idea is great and the statement would be awesome. This is what this car should have been from the get go. Here are a few of the challenges you would be facing in this build. You will need to convert a front wheel drive into a rear wheel drive. A drive line and drive line tunnel will need to be created. You will have to accommodate a rear end which is not possible with the current muffler, this will have to be replaced. With this you will need to add a transmission for your rear wheel drive. The engine bay may not be big enough to accommodate that size of a motor, so cleaver refabbing may have to occur. Much of our car is drive by wire, not sure how this translates into the HEMI.
The list goes on, this would be quite an extensive build requiring a bunch of cash. I would love to see it done, just be aware of what you are getting into.

What can be done is the 4.0 Magnum engine. This is what is in the Stormtrooper Avenger and would be plenty of power. This would be a great swap, that would require a lot less work. http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/23/sema-2007-preview-dodge-avenger-stormtrooper/

A simpler option is that if you are that unhappy with the 2.4l you should trade in your ride for an R/T with the 3.5l and trick out this motor. We have members who are working these, and claim to do real well, there is even a laughing gas application.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You would have to redesign the car from the ground up, ALL componets would have to be fab to support the new trans and motor, this would be a total custom job and take 10s of thoundsands of dollars to do.

I love the idea and would like to see it done, but for the average guy its not possible, you should take what you have and make it better, the neon idea is possible but still would take alot of design and fab work.

·
Banned
140 Posts
Like others have said here, the amount of time, money and effort to do this would be HUGE. You would basically be designing a car from the ground up. If you really have your heart set on a V8 option, I would suggest either trading for a Charger or a Challenger with a V8. With this option you would get the power that you are craving and have a car with a warranty. What nobody has said in this thread is that with all the mods you would need to do in order to convert an Avenger to a V8, your warrenty would be totally voided out.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i think you will be better off with a 4 cylinder srt 4 fom a dodge neon engine swap that will fit perfect

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that I've done research it does seem to silly & rediculus to do this. I'm only planning on having my Avenger until 2011 anyway & then I will trade it in for a 2009 Challenger R/T.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
If you are only going ot have it that long, then it is mostly worthless to really mod it. If you want, install an intake and possibly an exhaust and thats about it.

The Challenger R/T will be nice but I wonder if the Camaro SS will win you over by then?

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Just strap a bottle on it !!! :smileup:
good luck with what ever you decide to do :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
The Challenger R/T will be nice but I wonder if the Camaro SS will win you over by then?
I don't know if it's just me, but I am failing to see what all the hoopla is about the new Camaro. I've seen some in person and I am FAR from impressed. The front end and tail look like there was a 10-ton weight dropped on it and squashed it. Not attractive at all, to me.

Challenger vs. Camaro? That's a no-brainer to me. The Challenger is FAR better looking.

Just my 2-cents...

Bill

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are only going ot have it that long, then it is mostly worthless to really mod it. If you want, install an intake and possibly an exhaust and thats about it.

I actually really like the Camaro however there is something about the Challenger I like more. True the Camaro is cheaper and faster. Also I want an 8 cylinder and the Camaro SS isn't really meant for an automatic transmission though it is available and who wants an automatic Camaro SS? Plus the Challenger R/T comes in an automatic 5 speed with overdrive and auto manual which is the most common transmission and it gets up to 17/25 mpg. Two years is still a long ways away so I just have to wait for the time to come before making my decision.

·
Banned
140 Posts
:smiley_thumbs_up: I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Challenger. I used to own a 1971 RT convertible which was probably my favorite car ever. What a blast that car was to drive. It would pass anything on the road except a gas station:wow:. I don't think the Camaro looks particularly bad, but if I could have either one, I would certainly choose the Challenger.

·
Banned
570 Posts
If you're getting a Challenger for sure, then suck it up and wait. Don't even buy floor mats. LOL
Use gas money savings for a down payment even. ;)
Make sure that Challenger has a Hemi. The V6 will lose to an Avenger R/T 3.5. Believe that. (maybe you could splurge for audio, but Dodge put a lot of obstacles in the way of getting performance out of the Avenger 2.4 ....made it cost more than it's worth)

·
Registered
88 Posts

It's won me over. Just need about one more year. Sorry Avenger.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're getting a Challenger for sure, then suck it up and wait. Don't even buy floor mats. LOL
Use gas money savings for a down payment even. ;)
Make sure that Challenger has a Hemi. The V6 will lose to an Avenger R/T 3.5. Believe that. (maybe you could splurge for audio, but Dodge put a lot of obstacles in the way of getting performance out of the Avenger 2.4 ....made it cost more than it's worth)
I'm probably getting the R/T model so it will have a Hemi. I refuse to get the 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
srt4 vs avenger rt

honestly, why wouldnt you just skip the srt4 engine and just get the v6 avenger engine because if you think about it your just going from a dag on 2.4 to a 2.4w/ a stock turbo. you can get the v6 engine then boost it if the engine isnt enough power

·
Registered
590 Posts
It would cost ALOT of money and require a ton of work as previously mentioned. If it were me, and I had the cash, I would take it to a GOOD shop that specializes in turbocharging and go that route. They could possibly come up with a custom setup for you. I still don't think they would be able to tune it though, since I have heard that is the only holdup.

·
Registered
701 Posts
i mentioned something like this before. but i said that i wanted to get an old dakota v8 engine and get the stuff and transfer over the stuff, so it would be cheaper than grabbing all the stuff.

or you could also go with the rt version of the nitro(the engine the stormtrooper had)
awd one :D

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
That is a good thought as well ! Good point ! :smileup:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts