Dodge Avenger Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
A hemi in the Avenger would be awesome. It would take alot of work and cash. The first thing you need to do is find a donor car for the engine, trans, rear and electronics. It would be entirely possible because, I don't know about the newer ones, but the 08 used the same chassis from the fwd to the awd. So the driveshaft hump and opening in the rear for the diff would be there. You could check and see if the Charger rear chunk would accept the Avenger shafts, if not then you would have to shorten the Charger shafts. To keep from setting off the check engine lights you would have to pull the ecm and the tcm from the donor car. You could also pull the engine and trans mounts from the donor. As far as everyone is concerned about, "It would be cheaper to get the V6 model", where is the fun in that? People in the hot rodding community have been doing this stuff for years. How do you think they came up with a KIT to put a 5.0L Mustang engine in a Mazda Miata. I say go for it!!!! If I didn't have to depend on mine for daily driving I would probably try it myself.

·
Registered
639 Posts
i second all the other fellas on here. i want to up grade the engine to, as we only get the 2.4lt in england. in the futur .ie when the warranty runs out and ive the money. id like to import the 3.5lt engine and engine wiring loom along with the ecu to control it all. poss with a super charger and nos mmm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
allrighty i have had a similar idea but i am thinking AWD to AWD like a hemi from a charger or a 300 AWD shoehorned somehow into my AWD avenger R/T however i have come across no one that wants to assist me and all the automotive Engineers i have spoken to are high end sports car snobs

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
allrighty i have had a similar idea but i am thinking AWD to AWD like a hemi from a charger or a 300 AWD shoehorned somehow into my AWD avenger R/T however i have come across no one that wants to assist me and all the automotive Engineers i have spoken to are high end sports car snobs
They have no vision. I think that would be an amazing project.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Guys If you have a spare car to drive while you are working on this, it's not really a matter of being able to do it but more like how long it will take. Remember these cars do have a driveshaft tunnel to the rear. This was for the older all wheel drive versions. NHRA took full advantage of this so yeah its possible. It just comes down to money and time... an remember it still has to pass all local, state, and federal OBD2 emission laws so something to think about there....

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
this would be a waste of money
Intelligently approached and willing to spend untold amounts of money (if one has it), ANYTHING is possible..if not impractical. Just look at the "hot rods" of the 50's and 60's..who would have thought monster sized V-8's on a model T frame???

·
Registered
179 Posts
Honestly I’m waiting for my 3.5 to die then I’ll try a hemi swap I have a 08 so I have the tunnel :) I’m at 138 currently lol

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Yup, and with help from the folks at the TV SHOW "Garage Squad"...The changeover will be done in ONE WEEK and get a whole new interior and paint job too!...Notice they never say WHO is footing the bill for the work????

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm planning to put a 5.7 hemi and 6 speed manual transmission in my avenger next year. If anyone has some useful advice and tips it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm planning to put a 5.7 hemi and 6 speed manual transmission in my avenger next year. If anyone has some useful advice and tips it would be greatly appreciated.
What's in it now? At most (and I don't know what year/model you have) go with the 3.5l or 3.6l (depending on your year). The 3.6l V6 Stock is 283 HP, which is a very, very good starting point. You can make mods from there to increase HP...but the 5.7L thing is...well...is like putting a Harley motor on a mini-bike.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Do it if you can, it would be amazing! You'll need deep pockets and a good solid frame under the car. Front drive cars don't have a ;ot of frame in the back.

Reactions: wolfsblood07

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently thought of the same thing i just ran into a deal on one I couldn’t my pass up and I read the thread n I do a lil car work myself and researched it Woud be easier with the engine out of an impala ss FWD with 5.3l and trans not as much customization just wiring a lot of ppl are dropping the ls motors in just about anything so this shouldn’t be too bad

21 - 37 of 37 Posts