Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts about waxes and interior dressings. I want to baby my Avenger and want to know the best stuff. I have heard that the old style wax is bad for modern paint. My last vehicle started fading after 6 years even though I waxed it on a regular basis(every other month), and I want my new car to last much longer.

:yaya:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I heard Zaino works great. Personally I've been using a zymol product and a turtle wax platinum product...on my bike though, been too cold to wax the car yet hehe.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

thanks for all your info. i will be putting my first coat of wax on this weekend.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use Mothers polishing compound, then their carnuba wax...My truck's an 03 and looks as good as the day it rolled off the showroom floor...

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I use first a good polymer paint sealant (Rod and Custom show car glaze) I may try another for fun, Pinnacle Souveran paste wax (Which is excellent for blacks and reds),I use Chemical Guys Slick wax detailer that also can be used as a water-less wash (Cheap to buy,A gallon for this is $22.00) and I also use Gliptone spray and shine Carnauba for a detailer too. Pinnacle Souveran, P21S(Cheaper than Pinnacle),S100(Like P21S but cheaper, You find it at bike shops),and a couple others are easy on and off. No more of that bull crap with fighting too take it off. No compounds yet. I was told by lots of people with a new car you don't need it. Microfiber towels are great,Depends on the maker. I buy the California duster microfiber towels. Collinite insulator wax is supposed to be great for the winter and for silver metallics. I haven't used it yet, I have been told by alot of people it's great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got done yesterday with three coats of Zaino (using the accelerant to cure it) and the car looks fantastic. Really makes the metal-flake in the red pop out.

If you use some of the premium waxes, make sure you take any old wax off by using Dawn dish detergent as your pre-wash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Perhaps I over-do it a little bit, but usually what I do is wash the car maybe once every 3 or 4 months. Using a lot of soap (washing your car regularly) will fade the paint over time. After the car is washed, I clean it up even more with Meguiars Quik Detailer, and then add two coats of spray wax to it.

From that point forward, I dust off the car and clean it with the Meguiars Quik Detailer once a week, and apply a new coat of spray wax every 2-3 weeks. I usually only wash the car if it gets REALLY REALLY dirty or muddy.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I heard somewhere that you can actually over wax your car. I am not sure on the details, but I will look and try to find that out.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Just got done yesterday with three coats of Zaino (using the accelerant to cure it) and the car looks fantastic. Really makes the metal-flake in the red pop out.

If you use some of the premium waxes, make sure you take any old wax off by using Dawn dish detergent as your pre-wash.
Which Zaino? I'm into trying different waxes. Is it Zaino Z2? How about P21S? Have you tried it yet? Supposed to be just as good as Pinnacle Souveran paste. That's good advice about the Dawn, Sometimes if you don't prep it properly a person may find the results aren't as good as they should be.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I heard somewhere that you can actually over wax your car. I am not sure on the details, but I will look and try to find that out.
Detail University is a pretty good place to ask questions. I personally don't think it hurts unless you use an abrasive polish wax quite a bit. I use an easy on and easy off wax,No waiting.Oh ya before that I use a Polymer sealant. You don't have to rub hard like some waxes.I use a spray detailer with Carnauba alot. I think it extends the wax just a little bit. What you use to wash it makes a difference. It should be PH balanced so I've been told and mild. No junk. Your towels shouldn't abrasive either. I don't even take the car through the car wash unless it's a brushless.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Which Zaino? I'm into trying different waxes. Is it Zaino Z2? How about P21S? Have you tried it yet? Supposed to be just as good as Pinnacle Souveran paste. That's good advice about the Dawn, Sometimes if you don't prep it properly a person may find the results aren't as good as they should be.
No, it was the Z2 (a friend of mine offered for me to try it before I bought) using the ZFX fast cure so I could put three coats on fairly quickly as opposed to having to wait 12 hours for each coat to cure up.

And I haven't tried anything but the Zaino on this vehicle sofar. I was VERY happy with it, but next application I probably need to run the clay over it. I could feel some surface imperfections all over the hood.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
No, it was the Z2 (a friend of mine offered for me to try it before I bought) using the ZFX fast cure so I could put three coats on fairly quickly as opposed to having to wait 12 hours for each coat to cure up.

And I haven't tried anything but the Zaino on this vehicle sofar. I was VERY happy with it, but next application I probably need to run the clay over it. I could feel some surface imperfections all over the hood.
I'm trying to remember if that has a polymer or not. Thanks for telling me about the fast cure. I know, When your in the mood to wax,Your in the mood to wax. I have a sealant that's like that, I usually like to do it all in that day but can't. Someone offered me sample of Z2 pro,I may take them up on it.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Consumer Reports rates Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax as the best.
Gloss - Excellent
Durability - Excellent
Ease of use - Good
Cleaning - Excellent
Scratching/hazing - Excellent
Compatibility with plastic - Excellent

Their comparison of 28 different liquid, paste, and sprays took place over a one year period. It is a little dated though since it was completed in July '06.

Has anyone used 5 Star Shine http://5starshine.com or any Matrix Micro Coatings products http://matrixmicrocoatings.com
It is hard to find un-biased reviews of that type of 'paint protection sytem'
I would really like to try one of these but would like to have some input from somebody that has actually used it before handing over $70 to $100.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Consumer Reports rates Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax as the best.
Gloss - Excellent
Durability - Excellent
Ease of use - Good
Cleaning - Excellent
Scratching/hazing - Excellent
Compatibility with plastic - Excellent

Their comparison of 28 different liquid, paste, and sprays took place over a one year period. It is a little dated though since it was completed in July '06.

Has anyone used 5 Star Shine http://5starshine.com or any Matrix Micro Coatings products http://matrixmicrocoatings.com
It is hard to find un-biased reviews of that type of 'paint protection sytem'
I would really like to try one of these but would like to have some input from somebody that has actually used it before handing over $70 to $100.
The Autogeek forum has some people who will trade sample of waxes with you or just send some. 5 starshine I have heard of and I did hear good things. The other sounds interesting and I'd like to look into it. I'm not going back to the hard to wipe off stuff. I'm in the process of trying different waxes this year for fun. Let us know in the future about Black magic if you like it.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts