Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

New to the forum. I live in Canada and just bought a 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT.

Seems like a really awesome car and in good shape! One thing I never noticed though during the purchase is that the cruise control is not working. I try to turn it on and it does not show on the display and it does not work at all.

I decided to do some research online, and the first thing that pops up is a recall.

---------------------------------
Recall Number: 08V152000
Recall Date: 04/02/2008
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING

CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 180,963 MY 2007-2008 SEBRING AND DODGE AVENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A STANDARD TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM (TPMS). UNUSED ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS FOR THE TPMS MAY BECOME CORRODED AND COULD SHORT CIRCUIT, WHICH CAN CAUSE A VARIETY OF CONDITIONS INCLUDING ENGINE NO-START, DEAD BATTERY, AN INOPERATIVE CRUISE CONTROL OR REMOTE START SYSTEM, AND/OR ENGINE STALLING.
---------------------------------

So I called up the local Dodge Dealership and a few other numbers and it appears that here in Canada there is no such recall. I'm assuming it only in the united states? Or would you guys have anymore information on why I can't get them to look into this recall?

I can only assume that my issue is related. I read on this forum already that maybe I could try changing the cruise control by taking off the steering wheel and so on. But I'm just worried. Isn't this issue just going to continue to happen because of the issue that is listed in this recall?

I guess I'm just looking for some general advice on what you guys think of this and anything else that might be helpful for me. Also wouldn't mind being pointed in the right direction if any of you guys know how I can fix this "recalled" issue myself. I read in the recall that all the dealership does to fix it is "Seal the wires for the TPMS". Are there any tutorials for this or anywheres that would atleast show me which(or where) wires are being referred to?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,231 Posts
It was a PRECAUTIONARY RECALL< NOT A FAULT. An uncapped plug connector could corrode and cause a problem. By the age of the vehicle I would presume that you have a switch or power problem, and at worst a wheel speed sensor that is going bad. All take some knowledge of the systems to determine(troubleshoot) CORRECTLY.

And welcome to the Forum, suggest you look into more threads on cruise control problems.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! There is a safety recall in Canada for this. It is number H07 which primarily affects the TPMS system but can also cause dead battery, no start, inoperative cruise control and remote start. Basically there are extra unused connectors under the front and back of the car that get corroded and short out. They would cut the connectors off and wrap the individual wires with shrink wrap tubing.
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=0&md=0&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2008117&cf=SearchResult

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a PRECAUTIONARY RECALL< NOT A FAULT. An uncapped plug connector could corrode and cause a problem. By the age of the vehicle I would presume that you have a switch or power problem, and at worst a wheel speed sensor that is going bad. All take some knowledge of the systems to determine(troubleshoot) CORRECTLY.

And welcome to the Forum, suggest you look into more threads on cruise control problems.
So you don't think the corrosion is going to happen on my vehicle? I'm sure I can probably fix it pretty easy by changing the switch(with a little research). But I'm just worried there IS corrosion and then over time it gets shorted out again or worse. I was doing some research and it sounds like the 2008 models have had a lot of issues compared to any other year. Not sure if it's specifically related to this recall, but even seen one person reference to crashing their vehicle due to power related issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! There is a safety recall in Canada for this. It is number H07 which primarily affects the TPMS system but can also cause dead battery, no start, inoperative cruise control and remote start. Basically there are extra unused connectors under the front and back of the car that get corroded and short out. They would cut the connectors off and wrap the individual wires with shrink wrap tubing.
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=0&md=0&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2008117&cf=SearchResult
Thank you for the link! That totally debunks their theory that this is only for the united states. So I called up the same place that told me this before and gave the H07 number and told them that this is actually from the government of canada's website, and it makes reference to my car. So they looked into it and got back to me to say they cannot see the recall because their systems only go back as far as 2009. They then suggested I call the local Dodge again and tell them about it and see if there's anything they can do.

Anywayssssss, maybe I can kind of negotiate something there. We will see :) I wonder though if maybe there's some sort of expiration on recalls and they won't be able to help me.. not sure.

Regarding the unused connectors, would you know of any diagrams or videos or anything that would describe exactly where those are? I'm not very savvy with cars, but know a little bit about wiring and could maybe try to fix it myself if I knew more.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
No problem, glad to help. It's a safety recall so there shouldn't be an expiry but not sure. That recall may have been performed on your car already. If you PM me with your email I can send you a PDF file showing the recall and the diagrams showing how to fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts