Dodge Avenger Forum banner

What type of oil do you have in your engine?

• Regular

Votes: 41 39.8%
  • Synthetic Blend

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • Full Synthetic

Votes: 54 52.4%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What type of motor oil are you using?

We all have our preference for what we feel is the best for our engine. Some are hardcore full synthetic users, some synthetic blend and others feel that the regular oil is fully up to the task. So cast you vote and give us the benefit of your knowledge.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I usually use a full synthetic. Right now I'm using what ever the dealer puts in there until 12k miles and then I will switch. I once went about 25k miles on one change of amsoil. Car was no worse for the wear either. I probably won't do it again, but don't let anyone tell ya it can't be done!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually use a full synthetic. Right now I'm using what ever the dealer puts in there until 12k miles and then I will switch. I once went about 25k miles on one change of amsoil. Car was no worse for the wear either. I probably won't do it again, but don't let anyone tell ya it can't be done!
I would have like to had seen an oil analysis done on that oil. Did you change the oil filter during any of those 25k miles or did it go the distance to?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I would have like to had seen an oil analysis done on that oil. Did you change the oil filter during any of those 25k miles or did it go the distance to?
Oh no, that was the same oil filter as well. It was a amsoil filter though. I doubt it was a great thing for the car, but I really never had any trouble with it before or after that event. Never burned any oil or anything really.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you crazy man oil is very imporant for a car thas like blood in ya vains
I have read several reports where someone went over 9000 miles before an oil change. The debris in the oil is always elevated but expected and the TBN was was depleted. I usually change my oil and filter around 5000 and that is with full synthetic.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
To clarify, I did this cause I didn't really care about the car. I would never had done it if I cared, nor would I ever do it on this one. But talk about a bulletproof engine/tranny. I did my best to mistreat it and it never let me down.

I almost forgot...I had a bad wheel bearing for at least 40000 miles and that never completed failed either. Noisy as all heck at times, but still drove.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I go 5000 miles on a synthetic blend. The blended/synthetic oils were initially advertised as having a longer life, thus justifying the added cost. The cost has come down making those oils more popular, which is why I believe they now say chage at 3K miles. I haven't had any problems changing at 5K.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I go 5000 miles on a synthetic blend. The blended/synthetic oils were initially advertised as having a longer life, thus justifying the added cost. The cost has come down making those oils more popular, which is why I believe they now say chage at 3K miles. I haven't had any problems changing at 5K.
I would think, synthetic or not, unless your consistently hard driving or racing to extreme rpms, one could probably change the oil every 6k miles.

I'm near 4500 miles right now...still no sight of the oil change indicator. If it comes on before 6k, then I'll change it. If not, then I'll change at 6k. Something tells me I won't see the indicator however..

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I'm thinking I might become a Amsoil dealer. Maybe can get a group buy going or something. Would have to wait till after the holidays for me though. Too much going on and too much cash going out! lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
Dodge recommends 5W20 for the 2.4l and 2.7l while the 3.5l is 10W30. At Wal-Mart you can but Mobil 1 in a 5 Qt container for $20.00 in both viscosities. My preference would be the 5W30 over the 10W30. This averages to about $4.00 a Qt. Mobil 1 is very good oil at that price.
When i got my car serviced at the dealer last week they put 5w-30 in.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When i got my car serviced at the dealer last week they put 5w-30 in.
Your dealer is putting an oil that will flow better at start-up in the cold weather I know you have up there. Most engine wear occurs at start-up and the 5W30 will flow faster with less effort on your engine's oil pump. On the 6.1 Hemi an 0W40 is recommended while the 5.7 Hemi gets 5W20 due to the MDS.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does anyone really know the difference between Full synthetic, and Synthetic blend?
Full Synthetic - A group III,IV, or V base oil

Synthectic Blend - Oil that is mostly group II base with III,IV, or V added to it.

This is a very basic answer. If you would like me to go in a lot more in detail I will. I like talking about oil

1 - 20 of 58 Posts