Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find anything on it at all on Google and here. Any help would be nice.

Car occasionally doesn't start and just clicks. I can hold the key on start and it clicks like 3 times. Sound is coming from starter area, could be my solenoid but I'm gunna start cheap and see if I can't fix it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Starter solinoids are easily repaired with a kit. Take off starter, open up solinoid assy, replace internal contacts and reassemble. About an hour start to finish and about $20 for the kit compared to $hundreds for a new starter. I go this route any time I have a starter issue.

The relay is the middle one of the three relays in the fuse box under the hood. These are on the outer edge.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Its the amps, not the volts

ever notice the CA and CCA labels on batteries? that is Cracking Amps and Cold Cranking Amps

Takes a lot of juice to get the starter to spin the flywheel

Also, your owner's manual and the lid to the fuse box should have a layout of what is in there.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
So battery tested good at 12.55......
And I don't think relay is in fuse box

The only way to test a battery is with a load test. Most auto parts store or service centers have one and it doesn't take long to test. Preferred method is with the battery out of the vehicle.

·
DIY
252 Posts
Never use a multi-meter/volt meter as a "battery test" as they are showing you the surface charge and can't put a load on the battery and actually test it, this will also not tell you if you have a dead cell.

Best and simplest battery tester on the market is made by Midtronics.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just replaced the battery but I suppose if the alternator is going out then the battery would be as well as it wouldn't charge it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts