Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: Turns out the front passenger wheel bearing was the culprit. Had it changed and the noise is gone. My gosh. 馃槄

Hello all!

So just recently my Avenger has been making this whirring/whining noise that sounds like it鈥檚 coming from under the hood. This mostly happens when I let it coast or accelerate always above 20mph, but mostly when I let off the gas. I noticed that it kinda lags in deceleration a bit. I鈥檝e never heard this noise coming from it since I got it (certified used). There鈥檚 no light on the dash and the car seems to be fine other than this issue.

Here鈥檚 more info on my Avenger:
2013 2.4L about 98,000miles.
9/8/20 Replaced CV axle on front right/passenger side (whirring noise came sometime after this).
10/5/20 Replaced transmission filter and oil drained out.

Honestly can鈥檛 figure out what it could be. I鈥檓 stumped. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Denise

Registered
Hi Denise, it could be several things like one of the bearings on one of your accessories(like alternator) that the serpentine belt runs. Have you tried listening for the noise with the hood open and have someone slowly rev the engine while the car is in park. Could also be wheel bearings or worst case transmission bearings. If you had the transmission 'flushed' that can cause new problems in the transmission. Filings can float around and get lodged in places that can cause issues. You should only drain the oil out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Denise, it could be several things like one of the bearings on one of your accessories(like alternator) that the serpentine belt runs. Have you tried listening for the noise with the hood open and have someone slowly rev the engine while the car is in park. Could also be wheel bearings or worst case transmission bearings. If you had the transmission 'flushed' that can cause new problems in the transmission. Filings can float around and get lodged in places that can cause issues. You should only drain the oil out.
Hello Intrepid!
Thank you for the reply!
All my research I鈥檝e done has pointed to what you鈥檝e mentioned. I鈥檒l definitely check for more noises under the hood while the car is parked when I get the chance. The last time I did that, I couldn鈥檛 recreate the noise. But after I drive it for a while, it becomes more apparent.
Yeah I just had the transmission fluid specifically drained out by my mechanic. Sorry, I know flush is a different process. He didn鈥檛 notice anything concerning when doing so. Though the transmission filter was in need of replacement. Hadn鈥檛 done it at all since I鈥檝e had the car.
I鈥檒l definitely take a closer look and hearing under the hood to see if I can isolate the noise. Again, thank you for your time! Will be back with an update as soon as I can!

Registered
Ok, thanks for clarifying. Best of luck, patience is the key:)

Reactions: Dme94

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Update! :)

So I had the car in park and revved the engine to a steady 2rpms and a little past that. I held the gas pedal for a good while. A friend listened in under the hood and we switched to compare what we heard and where the noise was coming from. After a few times of doing this, we both heard the noise to be coming from the belt area (serpentine, timing). What I鈥檓 thinking it might be are the belts and/or the pulleys. Which one I鈥檓 not sure, but I鈥檓 guessing it鈥檚 a pulley because the belts seem fine. I gotta keep inspecting, but my car knowledge and skill only goes so far. :(

Registered
Pick up an automotive stethoscope at your local part supplier. It is a great tool to pinpoint noises and inexpensive. You can also use a short broom handle held to the part and to your ear at the other end, just be very careful with the belt and pulleys spinning around.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Bought one! :) With the engine on and revving it a bit, I probed the alternator. From what I heard, the noise is coming from there. I鈥檒l have my mechanic inspect my belts and pulleys and maybe even the alternator itself to see if it鈥檚 a decoupler. I鈥檓 hoping that this fixes it! I鈥檒l update whenever I have the results. Thank you again! :)

Registered
You're very welcome, hope things work out for the best for you:cool:

Registered
Hello all!

So just recently my Avenger has been making this whirring/whining noise that sounds like it鈥檚 coming from under the hood. This mostly happens when I let it coast or accelerate always above 20mph, but mostly when I let off the gas. I noticed that it kinda lags in deceleration a bit. I鈥檝e never heard this noise coming from it since I got it (certified used). There鈥檚 no light on the dash and the car seems to be fine other than this issue.

Here鈥檚 more info on my Avenger:
2013 2.4L about 98,000miles.
9/8/20 Replaced CV axle on front right/passenger side (whirring noise came sometime after this).
10/5/20 Replaced transmission filter and oil drained out.

Honestly can鈥檛 figure out what it could be. I鈥檓 stumped. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Denise
Sounds like a bad power steering pump. This happened on my old car, and my Avenger due to not enough power steering fluid in the reservoir. I'd check if you have enough fluid in your power steering pump, because you could be running it a little dry and it would cause this noise. For the power steering pump to cause this noise, it's due to air in the lines. If your reservoir is full, or decently full and still making the noise, you may have a leak in the line somewhere causing air to leak in. The fix for this is to jack the front of your car up so both wheels are off the ground, and take off the cap to the reservoir, and turn your wheel to the left, then to the right, WITH THE CAR OFF, and you should see air bubbles start coming out of the reservoir. Id have someone stand there with you to confirm if any are coming out.

Hope this helps on further investigating this noise

Cameron DiMarco

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a bad power steering pump. This happened on my old car, and my Avenger due to not enough power steering fluid in the reservoir. I'd check if you have enough fluid in your power steering pump, because you could be running it a little dry and it would cause this noise. For the power steering pump to cause this noise, it's due to air in the lines. If your reservoir is full, or decently full and still making the noise, you may have a leak in the line somewhere causing air to leak in. The fix for this is to jack the front of your car up so both wheels are off the ground, and take off the cap to the reservoir, and turn your wheel to the left, then to the right, WITH THE CAR OFF, and you should see air bubbles start coming out of the reservoir. Id have someone stand there with you to confirm if any are coming out.

Hope this helps on further investigating this noise

Cameron DiMarco
Hello Cameron!

Thank you for your detailed reply. I really appreciate your time and advice. :)

My mechanic figured out that it was my front passenger wheel bearing. 馃槄 Honestly had ruled the bearing out but I鈥檓 just glad it wasn鈥檛 anything more serious and expensive.

Registered
Figured it out. Front passenger wheel bearing was the culprit. 馃槕馃槄
Wow, very different than the first diagnosis of noise coming from the alternator;) Good to hear you got it sorted:cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, very different than the first diagnosis of noise coming from the alternator;) Good to hear you got it sorted:cool:
Haha! Thanks! I actually dismissed it at first because I heard the noise coming from the engine. But I guess I misheard on this one. Either way, the belt and pulleys are next! Haha. Thank you so much again. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts