Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2014 Avenger............... recently, got some weird noise in the dash area, somewhere behind the glovebox area. It does it for about 15 seconds, and then quits. It's like you'd take a key and hit it on a hard surface.......tick, tick, tick, tick, tick........then it quits. Once it awhile, it'll do it while I'm driving for 10 or 15 seconds, then quit. It happens on cold starts in the morning, or after the car has sit for awhile. Anyone else ever experienced this?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Yes, it's a common issue, the blend door actuator has to be replaced. There are many threads on this problem on the forum if you do a search.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!. I couldn't find any other threads; but had to take it to the dealer for some recall anyway. I told him what was going on, and he knew the blend door prob. He came back later and told me parts and labor would be $1700! That the actuator couldn't be bought separately, and the whole housing had to be replaced. Does that sound right to you, or do you know of a "back yard" type of fix? I need to do some more digging, before I spend that kind of money.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
There are 3 actuators on our cars. The parts are $30 -$40 each. Something is very wrong with his estimate!!!! Sounds like he wants to replace the heater core??? If you are a bit handy you can do the repair yourself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! I thought it sounded pretty fishy myself. Yes, I have done a lot of different repairs on different cars, over the years. Is there a video that outlines it, or a manual, or??? Is this a dealer-only part? Yeah, he told me that the whole housing ( I guess, the one the actuator is on) had to be replaced, that the labor called for 9 hours, and the dash had to be disassembled to do it. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
No it is not a dealer only part as my link to Rock Auto shows. If you do a search for blend door actuator on the forum you'll find a bunch of info. Also, search for Avenger blend door actuator on Youtube and you'll find a few instructional videos.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. My apologies for not noticing the Rock Auto ad. I mistook it for one of those wonderful pop-up's we get so often, and didn't pay attention to it. I'll get to work now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After your comments and looking around the site, I found several videos and suggestions. Also, that O'Reilly's sells the actuators, which is where I got mine....$27.99 (lifetime warranty). The bad one on my car, was the one all the way to the right.......possibly the worst of the 3, to replace. Took me about 4 hours, and a lot of grunting and groaning (I'm not nearly as flexible and strong at 74, as I used to be) But I got it done! And it still works! That dealer will never see me again, and I hope they send me one of those satisfaction surveys..... Thank you very, very much for the help and advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts