Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a transponder "spare" key but not the keyless entry. If the alarm is set, can I get in the car and drive away without the alarms going off if I use the spare transponder key? It is a 2012 Dodge Avenger.

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
With UNlocking the car's drivers door with your "spare key", the alarm should deactivate and not start blaring the horn.
IF you try that and it "sounds off", then I guess I'm wrong. ;)
Welcome to the Forumz! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want the alarms to go off (it's a domestic thing. I just want my car and not all the drama). I heard turning the key to the left first will disable the alarm. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
It is supposed to From what the owners manual says(from what other members have posted here in the past). If your car still has the owners book in the glove box(I've heard later years have gone to a CD/DVD) it will give you the definitive answer to this question.
I have the older and different platform coupe, but the alarm steps are the same. I know because a family member activated the system accidentally and with no fob was able to deactivate it with the key in the drivers door and a left turn of it on ours.
Using the key to do this is NOT a "one time" doing, it will have to be done each time you want to get into the car, but again a read of the owners book will be the definitive course.
Good Luck, and if my responses have not satisfied you maybe a few of our other membership will soon "join in"...this is kind of a slow time for our gang here on the forum. ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I bought my 2008 used and it didn't not initially come with a key fob (I made the dealer order one for me), but yah I had the same problem for a few weeks.
The only workaround I found was to NOT set the alarm and lock the doors manually.

If the alarm is set, then unlocking the door with the key will set off the alarm every time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts