Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi... I got a new car last week... a 2008 dodge avenger. I noticed today that the windshield wipers sometimes stops in the middle of the windshield on the way back to the starting location. When I pull the lever towards me to spray water on the window, it does not have an issue... atleast from what I could tell. I am thinking that it is a relay.... If it is a relay, can someone tell me where it is located. I have been looking all over and found the fuse box under the hood. Then there is a module box behind it with 4 modules in it... all the same, but nothing is labeled. I checked my manual and could not find anything involving wipers or relays. I looked inside under the steering wheel and could not find anything either.
Can someone shed some light for me.
Thanks

Can anyone tell me where exactly the relay would be and which one would it be? Nothing is label in the manual and it doesn't seem to be in the fuse box.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Take it to the dealer, I would say. And after they have put in a new relay, ask for the broken one. You might want to sell it to some ricer owner, here in Europe they are dying for windshieldwipers that stop in the middle of the window ;) Some crazy ricer fashion statement...

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
That almost sounds to me like the motor is not able to move the wipers on a dry glass. I would suspect bad relay or bad motor on wiper.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i got my car back from the body shop and my wipers arent working. at all. the nozzles still squirt tho. so i am thinking its the relay

before anyone says take it back...ive tried. the [email protected]#holes said it wasnt the part they work on and now wont have any of my business. oh well their loss.

and i dont want to take it to the STEALership.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
i got my car back from the body shop and my wipers arent working. at all. the nozzles still squirt tho. so i am thinking its the relay

before anyone says take it back...ive tried. the [email protected]#holes said it wasnt the part they work on and now wont have any of my business. oh well their loss.

and i dont want to take it to the STEALership.
Sounds like the bodyshop disconnected something when they were working on your car. Try finding the relay and checking the wiring, might just be something knocked loose.

When I was in high school and just got my first car I had taken it into a stereo shop to have some stuff installed and I remember when I left I almost rear-ended a van because they had disconnected the vaccuum line for my vaccuum assist brakes during the install and never hooked it back up. From then on I did all my own installs.

You have to watch some of these people.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Well here is what my manual says... looks like the TIPM controls it.

WIPER SYSTEM

The wiper/washer switch (6) is mounted on the right side of the on the steering column, behind the steering wheel. The wiper/washer switch a resistive multiplexed network that provides input to the SCM. The SCM then sends a LIN message to the CCN. The CCN then sends a CAN message to the TIPM. The TIPM controls the wipers and washer directly.. The SCM then sends a LIN message to the CCN. The CCN then sends a CAN message to the TIPM. The TIPM controls the wipers and washer directly. The wiper system has LOW, HIGH, and INTERMITTENT switch positions. The intermittent wiper system, in addition to low and high speeds, has a delay mode and a pulse wipe mode. The intermittent wiper function is integral to the wiper switch. The wiper switch also includes the MIST feature which provides a single wipe when actuated.
The wiper motor is serviced separately from the wiper assembly. The wiper linkage is crimped onto the assembly and cannot be detached. The wiper function can be checked using the scan tool.

WASHER SYSTEM
This vehicle is equipped with an electrically operated windshield washer pump. The washers are operated by a switch in the right multi-function switch control lever.
The electric pump assembly is mounted directly to the reservoir. A permanently lubricated motor is coupled to an impeller type pump. The pump and reservoir are serviced as separate assemblies.
On vehicles for sale outside of North America, there is a headlamp washer bottle on vehicles that have the optional headlamp washers, which has an additional pump and a relay mounted to the bottle which is serviceable.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I am just considering that there was a recall for the Calibers (and Avengers??) about this.

·
Registered
97 Posts
HI Guys,
Well, Our 2011 Heat is doing the "Stop and jerk" after the wipers AND Lights have been on for a bit...
Did anybody ever ID for sure where the Wiper Relay is?
Thanks,
Doc

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
HI Guys,
Well, Our 2011 Heat is doing the "Stop and jerk" after the wipers AND Lights have been on for a bit...
Did anybody ever ID for sure where the Wiper Relay is?
Thanks,
Doc
I'm going from memory of past postings , so don't take it as gospel...
Pretty sure it was determined that wiper function is controlled thru the TIPM/fuse panel hard soldered relay (just like the fuel pump and for headlight out problems). You could try lifting the TIPM up and checking the wires and connectors of the various harnesses for damage or corroded contacts. If find any, repair wire as needed and I recommend applying dielectric grease into ALL wire pin connectors.
Hope this helps till some of the many more Sedan members post in!:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks m
I'm going from memory of past postings , so don't take it as gospel...
Pretty sure it was determined that wiper function is controlled thru the TIPM/fuse panel hard soldered relay (just like the fuel pump and for headlight out problems). You could try lifting the TIPM up and checking the wires and connectors of the various harnesses for damage or corroded contacts. If find any, repair wire as needed and I recommend applying dielectric grease into AL wire pin connectors.
Hope this helps till some of the many more Sedan members post in!:)
Thanks Much for the FAST reply!
Will try and hunt down this TIPM thing!
Doc

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been having the wiper problem with my 2008, the motor was changed twice, has been to the dealer 3x and they say the wipers keep working while its there in the shop (I don't see how). They have error codes coming up but they say unless the wipers stop working while the car is there they have no idea how to fix the problem or what the problem is. Any comments on this one.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Many electrical troubles start at the fuse panel out in the engine compartment. AsIposted, have a mechanic dismount the fuse panel and check the many wires and plug connectors to the underside of it. IF those are all good, it may need a new fuse panel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Am going to take Our 2011 to an independent mechanic that We trust and see what He thinks....Will update Everybody here.
Doc

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
I started at an independent shop that's who replaced the motor for the wipers. So no lucky there either.
Ask around of friends that also have Dodge product vehicles where they go. Need to find a good shop that "specializes" with the brand.
As I stated, The traditional "wiper relay" is now soldered (unlike older cars remote or plug in position) into the printed circuit board of the fuse panel. The only other "parts" would be the control switch, the fuse panel or WIRING between them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts