Dodge Avenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
error code p2004

Well I couldn't find anything on the actual part and when I looked up that error code in the manual it gave a bunch of electrical diagnostics steps.

For a private message if you look at the top right corner of the screen it says 'Welcome mowery33' and then two lines under that it says 'Private Messages' in red and underlined. You can't send private messages yet (it's to stop spammers) but you should be able to recieve them no problem.
hey please pm email with info you gave the other guy on this issue Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can send you the same thing I sent him. It's the electrical diagnostic steps for error code p2004 from the service manual. If you have a family member who is a Chrysler mechanic he could help you out with it no problem I'm sure.
Would you be able to send it to me as well I am getting the annoying 2004 and 2017

Thx in advance
sport

·
Registered
5 Posts
Me too?

Would like to see these docs as well I am having the p2017 and p2004 real annoying because the car runs awesome pulling off 40mpg combined at 120kmph (about 80mph) highway. Don't want to mess with it alot but would like the problems figured out. I heard about a bad ground or leak in vacuum causing this and would like to know where to look. I am a computer engineer and hobbiest mechanic (30 years) so I do know a fair bit on cars and wiring. Mine is an 09 2.4L as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
GUYS,,i have the same issue ...long story short .i replace the throttle body reset the computer and code came back,,then i decided to buy the intake manifold valve and guess what...check engine light came back same code ..2004 intake manifold stuck open bank 1,,im lost .please provide me with some trouble shooting .i will apreciate thank you..my inspection is due on march of 2013...i spend so far 180.00 for the throttle and 105.00 for the intake valve ..thank again.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My car is having the same exact issue. I get a p2017 code then I get 2 pending codes p2004 and p2017
Anyone have a fix?

·
Registered
148 Posts
took it to the shop. and they said that sometimes it could just be an old battery, or a low voltage of some sort..
They hooked mine up to the scanner they have and didnt seem worried and so they cleared it and it has been running ok since then

·
Registered
148 Posts
just to let everyone know more about this (documentation purposes)... I have had nothing but problems with these codes since my car was in an accident about 6 months ago.
Finally had the shop that did my transmission figure it out... my pcm is bad!!!
Now i am not saying that when it throws a p2004 or 2017 that it is your pcm but thats what happened to mine.

Hopefully no one else has this issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi guys im new to the forum also.
im having the same problem as mowery33 execpt my code is p2017.
how can i diagnose? and where can i find the part?

·
Registered
148 Posts
hi guys im new to the forum also.
im having the same problem as mowery33 execpt my code is p2017.
how can i diagnose? and where can i find the part?
I dont really know where you can find the part. From the looks of it use the diagrams that were posted earlier.
I had mine redone at a shop...they tested it and repaired it. It was a really good shop and so I didnt get charged much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello my 2008 2.4L can only drive about 15mph with pedel to the floor. It's not the CAT. He problem is somewhere in the intake. I cleaned the throttle body still no change. Am thinking its the MAP sensor could anyone tell me where its located

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I just wanted to put in my $.10. I got had a P2004 and P2017 a few months ago, I went on ebay and bought an OBD 2 bluetooth scanner for $15.00 and an app for my Android called "Torque" for $4.99 amd ran it on my car and gave me those codes.
I had a tornado type device on my intake for "better flow" and I took it off reset the codes and P2017 cleared but not the P2004. I searched everywhere for IMRC and not to many images and it wasn't even listed as that in a PDF of manual I found online.
The name of this was, well here are some of the names:

1.Flow control valve actuator
2.Short runner valve
3.intake manifold runner

I googled this and searched it on ebay, so now I knew exactly what I was looking for.
BTW P2004 code is "Intake Manifold Runner Control" stuck open.
So I'm a hands on type of guy, so I made sure my engine was cold first and the control valve actuator is located on the left of the air filter, it is bolted to the engine by (3) bolts. 2 size 10mm and 1 size 8mm, you have to disconnect a few harnesses to work better. After is was off, I opened it by removing 4 hex screws and it was clear that a butterfly type rod was stuck, I exercised it back and forth till it moved freely and put it back together and put it back on the car. You have to pay attention as you take it off and you will notice that there is a connecting rod on the engine side, I made sure it aligns when I put it back in. The control valve is spring loaded on the inside so when it went in I had to put a little tension on it.
Finally when it was all done I still had the check engine light on, so I press reset code on the App while I had my car off but with the key up to On position. It finally reset and the light has been off for over a month. I think its all good now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is the link to the Android App:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Here is the link to the part on ebay, although I didn't buy it shows what it looks like:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=121093163217&index=10&nav=SEARCH&nid=88564415246

Here is the link to the OBD2 Bluetooth scanner, I would recommend buying from within the US.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290917495145&index=19&nav=SEARCH&nid=74499559980

Here is a picture of the engine and the valve is located right of where the "VTT" letters end on the side of the engine.:

http://pictures.dealer.com/f/fairoakschryslerjeepcllc/1881/7b939aca3f61b06ef4870d4940f0c72cx.jpg

I hope this helps someone, money is tight nowadays and it feels good when we can fix something and save cash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Imrc

Just so everyone knows I just replaced my ETC and voila the IMRC code disappeared as well...

Alot cheaper than replacing the intake as many ODB code readers called it that. The ETC finally jammed shut car barely ran so unless you bring it into a Dodge dealer the side garages with cheaper ODB readers wont detect it properly...

Just sayin

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi guys, my question is the same as mowery33 but my code was a p2017, ireplaced the imrc but my engine light came back on,also do i have to reset the computer after replaceing the part?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2009 2.4 had this problem in November. I watched oldskool funk take off the IM and Actuator. I did not take of the IM but used WD 40 and carb cleaner to free up the actuator. Four months later that CEL came on, and my OBD2 told me the bad news. So, I forked out $116 for a new actuator; This did NOT solve the problem. I am going to take of the IM and spray it down as I know that is the problem.

Good news, in my research, I have people reporting prices from $134 to $250 on eBay etc. The dealer wants a grand.

QUESTION: Where is all this carbon build up coming from? Is there any way to prevent it?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts